Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Outback LL Bean H6 3.0 Silver 175K
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. While trying to swap the CDs around in the 6 disc CD changer of my 04 LL Bean, I seem to have jammed it! I think the issue is a slipping component, as when I start the car I can hear the little motor inside working, but somewhere inside the motion isn't being transferred (I suspect a fabric clutch disc is the culprit, if one is used). If someone can point me in the right direction as far as places to check, and maybe a write-up on how to properly disassemble the head unit, that would be hugely appreciated! I'll post pictures as I disassemble and update with links to any parts I order. Thanks ahead of time!

·
Registered
2004 Outback LL Bean H6 3.0 Silver 175K
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello everyone. Repost because I didn't get any hits in the gen2 forum. While trying to swap the CDs around in the 6 disc CD changer of my 04 LL Bean, I seem to have jammed it! I think the issue is a slipping component, as when I start the car I can hear the little motor inside working, but somewhere inside the motion isn't being transferred (I suspect a fabric clutch disc is the culprit, if one is used). If someone can point me in the right direction as far as places to check, and maybe a write-up on how to properly disassemble the head unit, that would be hugely appreciated! I'll post pictures as I disassemble and update with links to any parts I order. Thanks ahead of time!

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
I think it's a learn as you go thing on this one. Most people don't use CD's anymore it's mostly all digital music nowadays. In my 98 LOB my double din doesn't take any CD its either hdmi or usb. Sorry but its the truth.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
1,866 Posts
FWIW, I had a 2002 Escape with the same symptom, neither eject nor play. After I figured out how to get it out of the dash, there was really no way to get into the unit. When I hooked up the power to it in the dash, I could hear it restart even though the ignition was off. Pushed the eject button and got the CD out. Figured maybe it was fixed, but no, symptoms remained. Did the same routine and got the CD out again. Needed a tool like this pic, made from a heavy coathanger. Maybe disconnecting the battery and draining the current with the brake lights would help, dunno.
1585559790292.png

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback
406 Posts
I think it's a learn as you go thing on this one. Most people don't use CD's anymore . . .
I never thought that CDs were a good format for cars, absent a changer system, which I never owned. Too difficult to handle in an automotive environment. I continued to use cassette until I switched to MP3 or streaming formats.

If the car's audio system isn't too integrated into an infotainment system, as is probably the case here, then changing it out to something more modern shouldn't be that difficult. Wiring harnesses for specific cars are fairly cheap (and given away by Crutchfield). As an added bonus you can get hands-free phone functionality too. Even my 89 Ranger now has hands-free, and Bluetooth streaming.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Exactly the same issue. 2003 LLBean Please advise if anyone out there has a solution. Thank you!

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,897 Posts
Take it out, then take the thing apart. It's a fair amount of work.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,897 Posts
You have to remove it from the dash then take the changer apart to rescue the CDs. And then never use the changer again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts