Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 legacy outback 2.5L
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1996 Subaru Outback with a 2.5L engine and automatic transmission and 252K.

Any way, here is my problem.

I had to replace the heater core, which unfortunatly means pulling the dash :( Well I got the dash out and put the heater core in no problem. However, this is where the problems all began....

First my check engine light starded to constantlyflash and my airbag light has been on as well. But the weirdest thing is that the A/C clutch and the Radiator fans cycle on and off when the engine is not running and the key is in the run position. I have been under the dash maybe a thousand times (give or take a few hundred) looking for something I may have mised.

I hooked up my scanner, but their were no codes to be found.

Recently the starter has been giving me fits.. It usually works fine; however, every now and then you have to jump the starter to the solonoid to get it to turn the motor over. I checked the battery and it is Ok. And when you jump the solonoid it turns over fine. so I'm thinking it is not the starter.

This thing is drivin me crazy (which isn't a very long trip any way!). :gasp:

Any help will be appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
does cruise control work?

none of this happened before the dash removal? sounds awfully closely linked to the dash removal process....

·
Registered
96 legacy outback 2.5L
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah the cruise works fine.

I do agree that this is related to pulling the dash, but just can't figure out what I missed that would involve all these systems.

·
Registered
2014 OBW 3.6R Limited, 1997 OBW 2.5L Auto (sold, but not forgotten), and 1991 Ford F150
1,525 Posts
Sounds like the "green connector" issue. Under the dash on the driver's side, there are two green test connectors. They should NOT be connected as they are for test purposes only and can cause the problems you are having when connected. Take them apart.

·
Registered
96 legacy outback 2.5L
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow thanks, all this time I have been looking for things I forgot to plug in!
Who would have thunk that is was something I did plug in.

I just ran out and unpluged the green connectors and shazam the check engine light went out! Thank you so much RobLog you have saved my sanity

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
I had similar issues with my Pathfinder if I disconnected anything behind the dash. There is usually a sequence you can do with the ignition and door switch. It sounds crazy but a lot of manufacturers have it. I'd hit up Google and see what you can find otherwise the dealership would probably do it for $20 or $30 if they're friendly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts