Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have recently purchased a 2001 outback that was a salvage vehicle. Today I discovered when I pulled the little rubber boot off of the sensor on top of the power steering pump that the little metal conector that is suppose to be there is gone! I am guessing that this may be why it shudders a bit when I turn tight corners at low speed.

I can't find this part anywhere. the pump is fine, so I don't really want to replace the whole thing.

Does anyone kwow where I can get one? Does anyone have a junk pump around with a good sensor on it? PM me if you have one and want to make a deal.

thanks, Jeff

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Outback VDC
2 Posts
I know this is an old post, but am hoping I can find out if you were able to locate a new part or figure out a way to repair it, I have the same problem in my new money pit.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,293 Posts
^ Money pit? Really?

What's up with it?

Your best bet is the dealer. Carquest or Napa may have one available.

·
Registered
19,391 Posts
What makes you think that you need the same part? "it shudders a bit when I turn tight corners at low speed." (post #1 above) might not be related to the power steering.

As for the electrical connector at the power steering pump, see: http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b12/type_21/steering/oil_pump/.

The pressure switch is #8. Is that the part you need? If so, then ditto what cardoc suggested.

The switch signals the engine control module when the power steering is being loaded down, as when turning the wheel while parked. The ECM responds to this by increasing the engine idle speed to provide additional drive for the pump and prevent the engine from stalling.

But if you're getting shudder when moving and turning at low speeds (such as turning into a parking place), it might not be the power steering.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts