Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006 outback wagon automatic
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked through a lot of posting to replicate my noise and can't quite pin-point it...

New to me 2006 outback auto making a low pitched, varying frequency, humming noise from the rear of the vehicle at highway speed. I'd say a wheel bearing for sure BUT, the noise goes silent when I shift to neutral. Strange, since a WB would tend to sound off regardless of drive train engagement, right? So it continues to sound off under load (in drive and in selected gears) even with very little throttle applied.

I checked the rear diff. for lubricant and it was full and clean. I jacked up the rear and checked for bearing play in rear wheels- non. Could this be drive shaft related? There are no tares in the half shaft boots. The tires aren't great and were not rotated regularly. I am half inclined to swap out right rear WB since it is the ONLY ONE (according to my maintenance receipts) thats never been replaced. The other 3 were done in the past 7k miles. Vehicle has 147k on it, BTW

Any of your thoughts are much appreciated!

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,966 Posts
More likely to be the front-rear driveshaft than one of the rear half-shafts.

More like a humming, that goes with the wheel speed, or a thrumming, that goes with 4x the wheel speed?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.