Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
'97 Outback, 2.5L Auto; '02 MB E320
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought '97 outback and I love it.

It has 136k miles and according to the seller the engine was swapped at 75k miles. Valve cover gaskets (and probably camshaft seals) leak so I'm trying to find the correct replacement parts. The engine is EJ25, DOHC, serial number is 413565. I understand there were at least 3 different types of valve covers in these engines but I'm having hard time positively identifying mine without unbolting the covers. The covers have "4 cam 16 valve" cast text on them, which seems unusual. Back of the oil cap has two circles -- one with (9|5) inside and another with ( |7), I've read the numbers tell the date of manufacturing but not sure whether it's 95, 97 or 99 :) Plus who knows whether the cap always belonged to this motor.

I appreciate any help identifying this engine / proper valve cover gaskets.

Here is the image of valve cover (passenger side):

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
I CAN see the image.

I can't really help you, but wanted you to know the picture is working right now.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
that's the 1996 HLA head/valve cover gasket. order for that year vehicle/engine and you'll get the right parts.

This means you don't have adjustable valves, which is a nice feature.

I believe I have a set of Subaru valve cover gaskets for a 96 EJ25D if you wanted to make an offer on them.

I'll be in Austin in March.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot! It's also good to know it needs 91+ gas versus 87 specified in owner's manual. I changed coolant last weekend. The new one is bright green, while the old one was brownish and checking it today I could clearly see coolant drops at the bottom of the oil pan and on a garage floor. So looks like it needs more than just valve cover gaskets :(

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,439 Posts
External headgaket leak? Not a common issue with the EJ25D. Could be your water pump is weeping and signling that it is in need of replacement. If you pull the timing cover it should be obvious if its coming from the water pump.

Also brownish coolant is something you usually see in poorly maintained cast iron motors. Aluminum engines keep things much cleaner.....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the water pump tip -- I'll check it first. The color of coolant was probably coming from different colors mixing together over years.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turned out the engine was JDM EJ25 (apparently the exact same as on photos here). '96 valve cover gaskets fit in perfectly. Coolant leak was indeed from the water pump. The water pump caused a bit of grief though -- unlike USDM version it had water outlet on the front puzzling the mechanic who worked on it (I decided too many unknowns for a newbie DYI). To put the OEM replacement the front timing cover had to be replaced as well. Other than that it bolted on just fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
engine identification

We all know where to find the casting on the front of motor...EJ25 for example. But what we need to know is the third digit like EJ253 or EJ257 and etc. Where do we find this identification for a motor that has already been removed from donor car?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,691 Posts
We all know where to find the casting on the front of motor...EJ25 for example. But what we need to know is the third digit like EJ253 or EJ257 and etc. Where do we find this identification for a motor that has already been removed from donor car?

1996- 1999 are EJ25D DOHC

2000-2009 are EJ25 SOHC with a last digit.

what year car you got, stick or automatic:

this stuff and more is found on the build plates,...well if you got the original engine in the car:

found in the drivers door jam, or under the hood on the shock tower under the hood.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't have origional car. Just motor sitting on floor, so need to further identify it beyond the ej25 like is it a EJ251, or EJ253, or EJ257...
Thanks

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,691 Posts
Don't have origional car. Just motor sitting on floor, so need to further identify it beyond the ej25 like is it a EJ251, or EJ253, or EJ257...
Thanks
I guess that makes it a EJ25 SOHC,...I will go look at mine in my 2.5 car from 2002 and tell you where the numbers are,...(if I can easily see it,...or someone else does not have better ideas).

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,691 Posts
mine just says "ej25" facing up under the alternator,

...and it is the original engine in the original car = a EJ251. (SOHC of course)
the car is a US model year 2002 automatic built in Nov 2001.

there maybe down low, but it is dark down there and maybe covered by old grease spills on my car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
1996- 1999 are EJ25D DOHC

2000-2009 are EJ25 SOHC with a last digit.

what year car you got, stick or automatic:

this stuff and more is found on the build plates,...well if you got the original engine in the car:

found in the drivers door jam, or under the hood on the shock tower under the hood.
No, the engine is not in the car, therefore can't use the usual places on body, need to find he third digit on engine somewhere, like EJ253 or EJ257 etc. Don't want salvage yard to sell me the wrong motor, it is sitting on a pallet!!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,691 Posts
No, the engine is not in the car, therefore can't use the usual places on body, need to find he third digit on engine somewhere, like EJ253 or EJ257 etc. Don't want salvage yard to sell me the wrong motor, it is sitting on a pallet!!
I private messaged the lockmedic, who rebuilds subarus for fun., to look at this thread.

·
Premium Member
I has car.
4,621 Posts
the VIN no. from the donor vehicle it came out of will be on the rear passenger side of the bellhousing stamped into a vertical surface, about midway. That's probably the easiest way. . run the VIN through carfax or similar and you can figure it out by interpolation.

EJ251/3 are pretty much interchangeable as far as the long blocks go if you don't mind swapping timing components and intake. 03+ OB/legacy motors have EGR, Fozzies got it sometime later (don't know).

EJ255 and 257 are turbo motors.

Short answer: look for presence/absence of EGR (piped off the back of the left side head), the rest is just mundane swappable details.

Around 06+ they started getting AVLS. You can spot those by the oil valves on top of each head.

Don't know what your situation is or what application you're trying to find a motor for. that would be helpful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I plan on putting it in a vw type 1. I want to be sure to get the sohc non turbo 165hp version! EJ254. If the donor car was available it would be a lot easier.
thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts