Subaru Outback Forums banner

Help Identifying Front Turbo Baja Springs

8K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Glennda5id 
#1 ·
I am attempting to identify front Turbo Baja springs by the two paint dots on the spring. As a back story, I installed Baja springs 4 years ago and it took me a year to notice that my passanger side sits >1/2" lower than my drivers side. The passenger side spring is supposed to be a tad bit shorter but it should end up evening out the car. I suspect that unloaded my passenger spring is a good 3/4" shorter than my drivers side spring. I think they may have shipped me one wrong spring at the time. Until recently I didn't know that these dots identify the spring and therefore I didn't think there was any good way to figure out what was going on.

Here are the part numbers, I believe each spring is ~1/8" to 1/4" difference in height with the highest part number (66A) being the tallest. If you bought any of these springs and can take a quick look and report back what color your dots are for each that would be great.

Attached is a pic showing the two dots. This picture was originally posted by ETC. His dots are Orange and Blue in the picture. The dots should easily be visible with the spring installed. May need to brush a little dirt off...

20330AE66A
20330AE64A
20330AE63A
20330AE62A
20330AE60A
20330AE59A

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I'll check mine later today. Dunno if I'll be able to see them with the struts installed tho. . .

#10 ·
The springs could be the same height, but have slightly different number of coils or different thickness rod, or even different material to compensate for slight different weights on the left vs the right. Not sure if they do that. However, since they are different part numbers, it suggests there is a difference one way or another. Interesting. I had never considered the springs couldn't be swapped side to side.

#11 ·
There are differences in the front springs to offset weight differences in the engine bay. I figured the drivers side of the car was the heavier side and would need the taller/stronger springs. Since my drivers side was riding higher than my passenger side I figured I must have had the correct spring on the drivers side.

If anyone else can confirm 66A blue/green and 64a blue/blue that would be great!

#15 ·
~~~Update~~~~

I finally had a chance to swap my springs and both sides are dead even now. It would seem that the passenger side of the Outback is the heavier side! With the springs in the incorrect position, the drivers side was 1/2" higher than the passenger side.

Thank you to all who responded!!!

#18 ·
Yooo Thank y'all so much. I thought i was going insane until i pulled out the tape measure. I had Blue/Blue on the Driver side of my 01 Outback (As dealership shows should be for the Baja) and Blue/Green on the Right. Driver side made clicking/tink noises over bumps and driveways and the Driver Side was 1/2 shorter.

Ugh! Thank Yall again though!!!

P.S. This is why we need to keep Forums alive!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.