Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1999 subaru outback legacy
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I can start my 1999 legacy up. fans come on as normal. I can drive it around town (30-45mph) no prob with temp at all. only after maybe say 20-30 mins on the highway (65-70mph) then exit to a side road first stop light I come to it'll heat up. And I mean on the verge of overheat. Here's where it gets odd soon I move, the temp will drop back to norm before I even get thru the intersection. Then after that runs fine no problems with the temp again for the rest of the drive. What do you guys think?? I figured if it was a bad fan it wouldn't work at all. And if it was thermostat it would always run hot...last option sensor??

Any other advice??
Thanks again in advance

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,839 Posts
If you can recreate the problem, pull off ,idle, and look in the overflow tank. See if it is close to spilling over and if there are bubbles in it.

seems like a headgasket problem.

Possibly some clogging in the radiator?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope no boil over. No bubbles just normal level. Seems like temp in engine is normal just the read out on the gauge is off. And soon as I move it goes immediatly back to normal temp range.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,810 Posts
FANS or ECT for the computer (the two wire sensor).

Does it matter if the AC is on or not? When it does it, can you turn the AC on triggering the fans and sit still and the temperature drop?

Do the fans even come on with the AC when it does it?

Heat expansion in the fan motor is causing an open circuit or there is a loose connection if the fan operation is intermittent with or without the AC on. If the fans are not on when the engine is hot, but come on with the AC, then its the sensor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah fans come on when the ac is turned on

Went ahead n ordered the sensor (should be in by 11am). Haven a trusty friend install it. Will let you guys know outcome. Hopefully this not only Helps my problem but will help others w/ similar problems. But if this doesn't help. Then I'm gona drop kick the car

1 - 9 of 9 Posts