Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'01 Outback Limited, 2.5, mt, Sapphire pearl/Titanium, '09 Outback 2.5i Special Edition, Diamond Gray w/Quartz Silver accent
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! My brother has an '09 Legacy 2.5i, auto, no PZEV, Federal Emissions, and the motor has started knocking (166K miles). I am trying to locate an engine for this, and have been told by several sources that there was a gentleman in either Brown County, Indiana, or Bloomington, Indiana, who works on Subarus. He is supposed to be an expert on these cars. Does anyone know who this person is? I need to contact him. Please PM me if you have any contact information on him. I need to find a good engine that we don't have to pay a fortune for.

·
Registered
2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
597 Posts
Hello! My brother has an '09 Legacy 2.5i, auto, no PZEV, Federal Emissions, and the motor has started knocking (166K miles). I am trying to locate an engine for this, and have been told by several sources that there was a gentleman in either Brown County, Indiana, or Bloomington, Indiana, who works on Subarus. He is supposed to be an expert on these cars. Does anyone know who this person is? I need to contact him. Please PM me if you have any contact information on him. I need to find a good engine that we don't have to pay a fortune for.
Are you mechanically inclined enough to do an engine swap yourself or do you want to hire the Bloomington guy for that service?

I ask because I had to change out the engines in my 05 OB w/H6 and I ended up buying an engine from JDM.
I got my engine which was complete except a couple of sensors had been damaged during removal or transit.
I bought my engine for $1350 delivered to my front door and it looked brand new internally!

I would recommend that you go on Bloomington Craigslist and place an ad in the automotive section searching for this guy. Bloomington isn't that big and I bet you'll find him.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,472 Posts
sure the engine is bad? weak/failing timing belt tensioners can mimic the sound of knock.

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,029 Posts
I would assume that since the original post was 9 months ago, the problem got resolved!

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,029 Posts
Yea - I was kinda "Huh?" when I saw the disparate dates!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts