Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2001 OBW-AWP 5spd
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't post very often so I apologize, but I've just completed the HG job on my '01 2.5 5spd. Did a clutch at the same time. Thanks, BTW, to all the great folks here without whom I would have had a very difficult time doing this.

So, on to the issue at hand. I go to start her up, and it runs very rough and has a CEL. Checked the code and it's the P0340(surprise!). I checked the plug on the sensor and the white wire does have a tear in it near the plug. I don't really think that's the problem, though. I did check it with a VM and it has continuity.

I also triple checked the tbelt install. I compared it to the pics I took. I even did the tbelt 20k ago with no issues and also I pulled the drivers side cover and the access plug and verified that, when the crank is at TDC, both cams have the arrows pointing straight up.

I'm kinda stumped on this one. Conventional wisdom tells me that the timing is off, but it sure looks correct. I'm fairly certain that even if there were a compromise in the cam sensor wire, it wouldn't run like this.(I thought it would just go to a default fuel map)

So what say the hive mind? Advice very much appreciated!

Sorry for the rant!

Joe

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
link to pics and explanation for the ej22, probably 90 - 95. but the cam and crank marks are the same. and the explanation of the timing marks is pretty good.

the tooth count may be, probably is, different though, so don't rely on that.

Timing Belt

·
Registered
2001 OBW-AWP 5spd
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply guys. I did not line up by the arrows. I only rechecked using TDC and the arrows after it was back together. I used the hash marks on the cams plus the rearmost mark on the crank with the keyway at 6 oclock.

I've done the timing belt job before. I was just wondering if something was up with the cam gears or if it did somehow jump a tooth. I'd be curious as to why it would jump. I took close to an hour to compress the tensioner.

I'm gonna take it back apart to the tbelt tomorrow and count the teeth. I just figured that if I marked the belt and rolled the marks over onto the 3 sprockets and replaced the belt the same way, that all would be good. Again, all the right marks were lined up and matched my pictures I had taken prior.

I'll update tomorrow. Thanks again!

Joe

·
Registered
2001 OBW-AWP 5spd
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update! Found the problem. One of the wires to the cam sensor pulled out of the gray harness plug. Found it while checking continuity on the wires for the sensor. Didn't pass through to the prong on the inside of the plug. Went to probe the wire and it popped right out. Made a jumper and all is well.

Thanks for the help guys!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts