• Premium

Votes: 9 90.0%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Saab 9-7x
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I am in the market for 1 of 3 vechiles right now. I am looking at 2013 outback, foresters and crosstreks. I have never owned a subaru personally but I have heard great things about them. I currently own a Saab 9-7x 5.3i. I love the car but since they closed the company I am scared parts are going to start to sky rocket and the value is decreasing on a very rapid pace.

Let my give you some info on my self to help you help me. I am 23 years old and married with a 2 year old little girl. We have a 112 pound german shepard that we like to take to the park. We typically drive from DC to TN and southern GA to visit family once or twice a year. Also I am in the air force and I will be moving around quite a bit through out my career.

I have only test driven the outback and it was 2012. I was going to get it but we could not make a deal because the dealerships will not take the risk of my saab on a used car since the company went out of business. I like the look of crosstrek but I am unsure how much room is really in the car. The forester is for sure priced best. The outback I think may have the best needs for traveling. I am looking at mostly all of them with all weather packages and premium or limited versions. I really like the outback but I want the audio package. It is hard to find a premium with it but the limited is a little bit of money. The nice thing about my Saab is that it was upgraded on everything and had a DVD system for my daughter to watch on our road trips.

Also I have a question about finanacing a new vechile if anyone has done it recent.

Sorry for any grammar errors and if this is posted in the wrong section,

Jon

·
Registered
30 Posts
what can you afford?

I am married with a 13 mo old daughter and I went with the Outback. It has more room, the 3.6r and looks better to me. All three will work for you but your budget will be the deciding factor. The new 2014 Forrester will be better than a 2013 but that will probably come at a higher cost. The crosstrek is smaller and has only has one engine choice at this time. Some people consider it underpowered (148 hp) but nothing much different than a 2.5i Outback (170 hp) which many people here are very happy with. Test drive them all and see what fits you and your families needs. I spent the last three months researching vehicles and my search always came back to Subaru. I now own a 2013 Outback and I have no regrets.

·
Registered
13 blk Outback 2.5i cvt AW package, bunch of other OEM accessories...12 blk F350 6.2 gasser 4x4...10 Goldwing red nav ...04 JD 4510 loader/bhoe
77 Posts
I too like the XT but, had to deal with reality. I went for the the OB as we have a few large dogs, children and grandchildren, not in that order.
If it was not the outback it would be the Sprinter passenger van for me.
You will sacrifice a bit of mpg with the OB but, if you wanted mpg go with the impreza as its the same as the XT but lower to the ground with better mpg.
A drove a Forester for one month and the OB beats it hands down with better mpg, ride and handling.
In the end it's your choice, take your time and get the best deal, it's ok to walk out of the dealership without a new car. Shop around.
Take your dog to the dealer, ask if you can put it in several of your car picks to see how the fit is. Used cars will do for that. I think the the impreza/ XT is a tad small in the cargo area for a GS dog.
What type of finance ? do you have?
Don't get the extended warranty, if you want it you have time after your purchase to shop for the best deal on it.

·
Registered
2007 Saab 9-7x
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The financing question was just more a of general knowledge of if it will be able to get a loan for the amount or not. I have right at a 700 right now make 58 thousand a year and have no bad things on my credit reports.

·
Registered
13 blk Outback 2.5i cvt AW package, bunch of other OEM accessories...12 blk F350 6.2 gasser 4x4...10 Goldwing red nav ...04 JD 4510 loader/bhoe
77 Posts
I'll open with a disclaimer...lol
I'm not a finance expert but,

The credit score will dictate your finance % rate. Not knowing your history I would think you'd qualify for a loan. It's a new car so rates should be reasonable if not 0% now. Regardless most people don't realize interest rates are somewhat negotiable and part of your deal. Don't get stuck with anything over 3-4% but, how long you want to have a loan for and how much down make a difference also.
Do all your dealing with no trade to open the dialog, then when some #'s are lobbed back and forth entertain the trade.
Good luck and leave the dealership satisfied, otherwise walk out empty.
Remember, no one really gets a good deal, just a good feel!
In the end the dealership makes money and won't loose their shirts over your deal.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i Dark Blue Pearl/Ivory w'Eyesight
703 Posts
Unless it was becoming a money pit, I would stay with the SAAB. Other than trim parts, the 9-7x is essentially a GM Trailblazer, Envoy, or Ranier with the 350 GM V8. Mechanical parts should be available for some time. A friend of mine bought a 59 Edsel in 1964, and drove it for 150K until it was t-boned and totaled. It was essentially a Ford Fairlane. The downside of the SAAB would be gas mileage. I wouldn't be too worried about the SAAB.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i Premium/DDD Graphite Gray Metallic OP#2 Weathertec Window Deflectors
405 Posts
It sounds like you go on a lot of vacation so right there you need a wagon of some sort, forester looks higher to me that's more head wind,crosstrek really isn't a family car,,so that's my answer, That's me, I always wanted a two seat-er,corvette,S2000 or the new S3000 by Honda when they come out, but family comes first, good luck on your decision

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5i, 2011 WRX Limited
84 Posts
We ruled out an Impreza of any kind for our family hauler because it simply wasn't big enough for the long trips with kids, dog, etc. (Even though our other vehicle is a WRX). The new Forester will have even better gas mileage than the Outback, but we liked the looks of the OB better and were ready to buy. Since the stereo was a big deal for us, we decided to go for the LTD Outback since the cost of adding the HK made the difference very miniscule, and the leather will be much more durable over the years. I'd say you'd be happy with either the 2014 Forester or the 2013 Outback. Good luck!

·
Registered
2018 3.6 Outback Limited, 2013 2.5 Legacy Premium
534 Posts
I'd vote for the OB personally. By the sound of it with your family, moving, large dog (wish I had a GS!) and your traveling, Ithink you'd be happiest with the size, mileage, and comfort of the OB more, but if you're worried about styling for your young self, then I'm sure the Crosstrek would work too, but you might be sacrificing space for style.

As for financing, you should be able to get AT LEAST 2.9%, that's generally what Subaru does, they sell enough cars to not generally have to go as low as 0%, at least in Utah, Subaru Country.
Either way, you can't really go wrong. Good luck!

·
Registered
2012 Legacy 2.5GT-L
312 Posts
If you were considering the Forester XT, I'd say wait for the '14. Otherwise, I'd go with the Outback. If a rear DVD is a priority, Subaru offers ones which go in the headrests, but you can probably do better with aftermarket.

Shop around for financing - the dealer may not have the best rates. When I bought, it was a full 1% lower for my credit union than what Subaru was offering (1.9 vs. 2.9, iirc) - the dealership will work with you.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
With a score of 700, the dealer will try to eat you alive and they may tell you that your score is not high enough. They would be lying.

The score is not the whole story but it sounds like you should be fine. Do not let the dealer tell you what your rate will be. They often get $$$ for funding you a loan from the bank. Subaru uses Chase by the way and they have been trouble free for me. Since you are military you have lots of low cost loan options available to you.

My advice? Get pre approval from your loan agency before you go to the dealership. That will force the dealer to try and best that price and percent.

If anyone tries to get you for over 3% (with out good reason, like history) your getting cheated. I got under 2.8% for 70 months a year ago and rates have come down since then.
Remember negotiate price, before rate and do not let them talk to you about payment. Asking how much you can afford per month is the oldest and very effective sales trick dealers sometimes use.

I like the poster that said "it's about a good feeling." That is right on the money.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts
Also I am in the air force ...

Also I have a question about finanacing a new vechile ...
In the service? Be sure to check USAA -- 2.25%, up to 72 months.

Even better, Navy Federal Credit Union -- 1.99% for 72 months, or
1.79% for 60 months. (I'm not sure NFCU makes loans to zoomies,
but it doesn't hurt to ask.)

Either of the above can give you a loan commitment before you
visit the dealer(s), and with that in hand, you can sometimes
negotiate an even lower rate through the dealer. But don't let a
dealer simply match the USAA/NFCU rate -- make him BEAT it.

...paying MSRP is a crime against capitalism,

Looby

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R limited
3,289 Posts
The nice thing about my Saab is that it was upgraded on everything and had a DVD system for my daughter to watch on our road trips.

Jon
If you do NOT have a DVD in your current car, Don't get the DVD player for your daughter now.... Unless you like listening to that DOra song 2000 times for the next few year.... If they don't know abt, They will not ask for it... if it is there, They will want to watch it everytime she get into the car......Even for a 5 mins ride.....

Get a Probable player or Ipad instead..... Nabi2 is nicer than Ipad as they are built more for younger kids and much cheaper!

DVD's? That's so 5 minutes ago!!! LOL!

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Limited
41 Posts
I purchased an 2013 Outback 2.5 Premium. I have 2 kids that travel with me and a 60lb yellow lab. My dog is very comfortable in the back with a PetEgo Barrier. I use a Thule rooftop box for luggage and I installed a Torklift hitch. The 4 cyl has plenty of power for everything we need.

Didn't get the moonroof or navigation. Was trying to conserve a little. The CVT takes a little getting used to but works fine.

-Mike.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts