Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple days back, I noticed a (seemingly) new sound - a metallic-sounding rattle coming from the back of the car under acceleration. I was able to replicate it yesterday in a video. My first move was to check the exhaust to see if anything was loose. Nothing's jumping out at me, but maybe there's a heat shield I missed? I need to get under the car and take a more in-depth look when things dry up a bit outside. Anyone have any thoughts about what this sound could be?

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,615 Posts
It looked to me like it makes the sound more when accelerating through a turn.
I could not hear it when the car was on the straightaway, but that was from a roll rather than a standing start.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It looked to me like it makes the sound more when accelerating through a turn.
I could not hear it when the car was on the straightaway, but that was from a roll rather than a standing start.
That’s what I thought too at first since the first time I noticed it was while making a right turn out of a parking lot onto a busy boulevard, but it does it when accelerating in a straight line too. It only seems to happen when accelerating from a stop or near-stop.
i hadn’t thought of the end links; I’ll check those out. I did recently drive through some deep snow a few days before noticing this, that’s why I thought maybe something in the exhaust got bent or loosened.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
2,242 Posts
mileage on car?

use a pry bar and go around the rear components and gently pry on them until you find the one that is broken. sounds like a top mount bushing for the shock

·
Registered
2011 outback 3.6R
17 Posts
It almost sounds like the carrier bearing bushing for the drive shaft is worn and when you put it under load its allowing uncontrolled flex which lets your drive shaft move and rub on a shield. If you can get under the car, grab your drive shaft and see how easy it is to shake it. It should be stiff or at least very limited movement.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: it's definitely the heat shield just forward of the rear differential. It seems like it's mounted correctly, just feels like an inherently rattle-prone design. 🤷🏻‍♂️ No play in the driveshaft, rear suspension components look good for now though I'm certainly planning to upgrade come spring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts