Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, new to the group. Bought myself an ‘05 Outback XT in a private sale. I test drove it for about 30 minutes, and even had my mechanic look it over. He told me the timing belt and headgaskets had been done so I was confident in my purchase for $2,600 USD. Literally the same day we sign the title over, engine starts knocking, loss of power, stalls on idle.
SO! I’m in the market for a new engine. Already got someone lined up to do the swap but I’m having a **** of a time finding an engine under 80k miles, for less than $2000. If anyone has any good leads, please let me know. Ej255, DOHC, turbo, automatic trans, (6) 6th vin digit. Thanks in advance!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,024 Posts
others have done it, ...putting in a JDM 2.0 Turbo where the 2005 US spec EJ255 problem child once was.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
others have done it, ...putting in a JDM 2.0 Turbo where the 2005 US spec EJ255 problem child once was.
I don’t want to do the conversion and have to pay a tuner. The guy that’s swapping engines for me isn’t a subie guy, he’s just a really experienced mechanic.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,485 Posts
Unfortunately, your "Venn diagram of must-haves" is unicorn territory. Most EJ255s are $2500+ (complete motors, long blocks may be cheaper), but under 80k is a dream. People drove these Outbacks and Legacies, so nearer to 100k is a more reasonable goal, choices a-plenty for the 130-150k range.

Plus, if you just want "plug and play", you're stuck to 05-06 Legacy GT and Outback XT only. If you're up for some easy parts swapping, 04-06 Forester XT long blocks, 04-06 Impreza WRX STI (STI only) long blocks, and 05-06 Baja Turbo long blocks are directly compatible. But everything above the heads needs to be swapped from your OBXT.

Unfortunately, it's what happens and is really why you need a Subaru guy for these types of cars.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Not sure how salvageable the engine is but did you see this post?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,024 Posts
and for those playing along at home, the OP looks like a Ohio Buckeye on my screen.

·
Registered
05 GT wagon, 09 Spec B, 18 3.6R Outback
462 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts