Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help me find the rattle! VIDEO

so i have had this annoying rattle since the day i bought the car, but the dealer has no idea what it is..

i took a video of it, it sounds like the hood is loose and bouncing around, or some sort of metal rattle
let me know what you guys think

the sound can be heard from 0:06 - 0:10 and at 0:16 - 0:18

- Danny

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Outback Limited w/ moonroof
227 Posts
It's still under warranty - take it to the dealer, it sounds like the struts or something in the chassis is worn causing the clunking.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,696 Posts
not sure what i'm seeing/hearing. Seems like it should be easy to duplicate for a service writer or tech.

tell them to give you a nice loaner until they figure it out - don't turn in the loaner or accept the car back until after a test drive.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R Limited - CBS/Ivory
19 Posts
The rattling I believe you're referencing at those time marks sounds like an interior rattle.

A quick little trick I use to find interior rattles is to put on a real bass heavy song and turn it way up. It's gotta have a long, repeating, driving bass note so you have time to move around in the car to pinpoint the rattle. Feel around, pressing on panels, obviously if you can make it stop with your hand, then you've found it.

Usually I can pinpoint it fairly quickly, or at least determine if it's an interior rattle vs. a component rattle like a loose heat shield or the like.

In fact I just used the technique to find the annoying rattle from the rear middle seat belt rattling in the roof! Thankfully I just had to reposition it!

Good luck!

·
Registered
2012 Ouback 2.5 CVT
417 Posts
That sounds very very familiar, what it came down to be for me was a loose license plate frame because only the two top screws was holding it in place. Over bumps it rattled and sounded just like yours in the video.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5i CVT
468 Posts
This is what a warranty is for, make the dealer fix this issue. If after three tries he can't it would be lemon law for me. That is completely unacceptable.

·
Registered
2012 Impreza Sport Ltd 2013 Outback Limited SAP
1,495 Posts
Sometimes it could be the simplest thing. A couple of things that I would check:

1). Something rolling around in the Glove Box.
2). Something rolling around in the Center Counsel.
3). The plastic "Hide/Guide" between a powered mirror and the ceiling.

Also check in and around the door "cup holder" areas to see if there is anything in there.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R Limited--Sky Blue Metallic
766 Posts
This is what a warranty is for, make the dealer fix this issue. If after three tries he can't it would be lemon law for me.

Lemon Law?
For a rattle?
Unless the OP's home state has an unusually generous Lemon Law, I don't think that a rattle would qualify for a Lemon Law settlement.

In the Lemon Law statute for my state, the claimed defect has to be one that, "materially affects the safety or driveability of the vehicle".
Many, perhaps most, states have similar wording in their statute, and I doubt if a rattle--annoying though it may be--would qualify as something that materially affects either the safety or the driveability of his Outback.

:eek:

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R Limited--Sky Blue Metallic
766 Posts
Make sure there isn't something in the overhead sunglasses holder.
Good point!
I keep my big old garage door opener in the sunglass holder, and until I cushioned it with some foam rubber, it made quite a racket under certain conditions.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Sounded like something behind the back seat? Hard to say with the video. License plate frame not mounted right - like one of those college frames and the plate isn't wedged into the tabs on the bottom of the frame - plate missed the tabs and is flapping in the frame making racket. Yep been there done that. Or something loose under the rear floor in the tools bin or spare tire space.

Our kids car seats will develop rattles at the over head restraint when the straps get a little loose very annoying rattle at the clip vs restraint mount.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
its definitely not anything in the car, since I have at one point emptied everything in the car and the noise was still present.. even the retractable trunk cover..

the noise is definitely coming from the outside, i have checked the license plate mount, its tight.. so i guess i will have to bring it back to the dealer again..

sigh, i love Subaru's but man their quality control is really just terrible..

ill update you guys once i hear more

·
Registered
Subaru Outback 2011 2.5l CVT
32 Posts

·
Registered
2011 OB 3.6R Limited
93 Posts
I had a rattle on my 2011 that was, in fact, the hood rattling. I stuck some round, felt pads (like the ones you use on the bottom of chair legs to protect a wood floor) to the rubber hood stops to in essence make the black rubber stops taller. That extra height of the stops cured the rattle when I went over small, sharp bumps.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys. Turns out it was really the hood that needed adjustment. Just screwed the rubber stopper to make it higher and boom that hood flutter noise disappeared

Danny

·
Registered
26 Posts
Double check that your sun visor is snapped into the "lock" position! My rattle was very annoying until I discovered this solution.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Limited w/ SAP
29 Posts
That sounds very very familiar, what it came down to be for me was a loose license plate frame because only the two top screws was holding it in place. Over bumps it rattled and sounded just like yours in the video.
Yep. I put in my wife's alma mater frame in the back (mine's in the front) and it was rattling whenever I went over bumps. I fixed it by cutting one of those felt pads (sticky on one side to affix on chair legs, etc., to protect hardwood floors) and stuck them so that the felt pads would "bounce" on the back of the car instead of the license plate frame bouncing against the car. Works like a charm.:29:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts