Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to diagnose a high ride height issue on my '01 2.5i.

It currently has a set of SenSen struts, and what I assume are the original springs.

The springs have an orange and a pink (maybe white?) paint mark on them, left and right. Can someone check their 00-04 2.5i Automatic to verify that these are the correct springs for my car? Please state the year as well. It is sitting abnormally high in the front and the camber is too positive. I have the bolts maxed @ negative and the wheels are still tipping outwards.

If the springs are correct, I think the SenSens are my issue. They were cheap and from China, so it wouldn't surprise me.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is a picture:

One orange and one pink dot, driver's side front.

I have spoken to another member with SenSen struts who has experienced higher ride height, but I would like to be 100% sure these are the correct springs as well before I start tearing everything apart again.

·
Registered
2002 Outback 2.5
41 Posts
Hi,

I just went out and check my springs. I do not have those dots. Or that I could see. I had the tire off but couldn't find it. Those dots may have come off while I was cleaning the springs. Mine were a lot dirtier then yours. I am not sure of a better way to Id the oem springs but there has to be one. Maybe someone on here can help?

Winner.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shoot! I'm really surprised mine has the dots still with 161k of Northeast driving. Perhaps a more southern member's car still has them. :) I believe Subaru uses paint dots on all of their springs to identify the differences.

Thanks a lot for looking!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bump, need to know soon! If anyone has access to their Automatic Outback and a flashlight, a quick glance would be much appreciated :) (Yes, manual models use a different part #!)

·
Registered
02 Outback 2.5 5sp
543 Posts
I just replaced my springs after 110k, and they are much rougher than that. I wonder if you have newer springs up front, perhaps from a different (but similar) application. You could also have "saggy butt" causing the rear to be lower than normal.

My manual springs only have a red dot that I can find, but they are pretty dirty. What is the distance from the ground to your front fender?

James

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks so much! Even though it's manual, that's a data point to work off of :)

The car has been on jackstands for a week, waiting for my return credit on the SenSen struts so I can get the proper KYBs from Rockauto.

I would really like to make sure I have the correct springs though. The one I took a picture of was indeed replaced at some point, but the other side was not. It sat evenly despite this, not saggy on one side. Just want to make sure both are correct, because the strut on the other side was changed once too with a junkyard part, and I don't know if maybe the garage matched the new spring to the old incorrect spring.... if it's incorrect.

·
Registered
03,outback 2.5l 5sp
35 Posts
Here is a picture:

One orange and one pink dot, driver's side front.

I have spoken to another member with SenSen struts who has experienced higher ride height, but I would like to be 100% sure these are the correct springs as well before I start tearing everything apart again.

I don't know if it means something mine are Left Orange and white; Right Yellow and white

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very interesting, thanks for checking. '03 and 5-spd may make a difference here unfortunately, so it's not apples to apples :/ Fredbeansparts shows different springs for manual and automatic models.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.