Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... My wife's 1998 Honda CRV has 202k and we would like to replace it sooner than having us stranded on the road. With 3 dogs and a 2 year old, we like to drive for our trips rather than fly.

I have read a great deal about both the OB and the new Forester, but need to take them out for a spin and get my wife on board. My questions are simple and I am sure everyone has good answers:

1. What is the real MPG difference between Man and CVT? I would rather drive a 6 speed, but it is hard to justify to my wife if the MPG is really better on the CVT.

2. Based on the features and price, how does the 2014 Forester compare to the CRV? I have read reviews here about the rough ride and my issue is that my wife loves the fact that she was able to keep her car for 202k and 15 years. She hates the look of the new CRV.

3. Edmunds is killing me in the true cost section. Should I try to find a used OB with low miles, or are you all keeping the cars so it is difficult to find?

4. Anyone used the extended warranty?

Thanks!:D

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,565 Posts
1. What is the real MPG difference between Man and CVT? I would
rather drive a 6 speed, but it is hard to justify to my wife if the MPG
is really better on the CVT.
1b. How many miles would you have to drive to break even on the
1b. $1000 added cost of the CVT (plus tax and interest on same).

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,565 Posts
The 6 speed (I thought) only came with the H6.
Nope, exactly the opposite. No 6-speed (manual or auto) with the H6.

Yes the CVT is dramatically better.
Nope, exactly the opposite. ...IMO, of course.

...everyone is entitled to my opinion,

Looby

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
Just checked it. 6 speed manual, should be the same as the cvt. The red flag to me on the Forester CVT is that there is no flappy shifters for the CVT on the 2.5, just get a low selection. I have that on my (ancient) Justy CVT, and there are times i really hate it.

My MPG was my mistake as I did not realize the Forester got the 6 speed manual.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/forester/forester2014.html

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R - Graphite Grey
34 Posts
So... My wife's 1998 Honda CRV has 202k and we would like to replace it sooner than having us stranded on the road. With 3 dogs and a 2 year old, we like to drive for our trips rather than fly.

I have read a great deal about both the OB and the new Forester, but need to take them out for a spin and get my wife on board. My questions are simple and I am sure everyone has good answers:

1. What is the real MPG difference between Man and CVT? I would rather drive a 6 speed, but it is hard to justify to my wife if the MPG is really better on the CVT.

2. Based on the features and price, how does the 2014 Forester compare to the CRV? I have read reviews here about the rough ride and my issue is that my wife loves the fact that she was able to keep her car for 202k and 15 years. She hates the look of the new CRV.

Thanks!:D
We also had a 1998 CR-V. Great little car, had it 9 yrs / 165K miles, but it was a bit under-powered and the AWD was very meager. There is just no comparison between Subaru AWD and the Honda "rear-drive assist". My wife now has a 2013 Forester and loves it. Very similar to the old CR-V, a bit bigger and better power. She likes sitting up higher in traffic, and the visibility out of the Forester is similar to / as-good-or-better than the CR-V.

I just got a 2013 Outback 3.6R. It feels roomier inside. I've driven a stick the last 30 yrs and finally gave it up for the auto. It's nice just being able to punch it with the H6 when I need to. I drove the 2.5/CVT, but didn't care for the high rpm's on acceleration.

As for the durability of the CVT... I'll believe it when I see it - when a CVT lasts 10 yrs / 150K+ miles. It's a steel belt running between two steel pulleys and it's eventually going to wear down.

I think if your wife really liked the CR-V, she'll be happy with the Forester. Haven't seen the 2014 Forester, so can't comment. Your call on 2013 vs 2014.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
Steel belt, yes, but once you realize automatics are basically wet paper, you will realize it is a moot point.

CVT's in general have been around now long enough to be over 100K, and subaru has a lot of knowledge with belt driven CVT.

The only surprise I found out recently is the 2014 CVT Forester has a reduced tow raiting from the 2013.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My wife thinks of the Forester as an SUV and the Outback as a Wagon; this may be the big issue. Will get her out to test drive in the next couple of weeks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts