Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Question: Is there power to the front door step light at all times?

If you have a 2003 or 2004 and the step lights (lower rear of front doors) are working, could you test at the step light bulbs for the presence of power (12 V) when the door is opened and closed?

Method:

1. Open one of the front doors door (step light should be on).
  2. Remove the step light cover.
  3. Using a multimeter (voltage measurement) or test light, connect the positive test lead to either light bulb contact, and the negative to a good ground on the car body nearby. If the light is on, there should be around 12 V at one bulb contact, and little or no voltage at the other.
  4. Press in the door switch (on the "B" pillar) to simulate the door being closed.
  5. Is there now 12 V at the bulb contacts (both)?

Unlike earlier and later years, according to the 2003-4 FSM wiring diagrams, power to the step lights in the 2003 and 2004 comes from the "Integrated Module" (IM). It's not clear if this power to the lights is always on, or if it is switched by the IM (in addition to the individual door switches turning the bulbs on and off by grounding one side). If the power is always on, then why would it have to go through the IM, where in other years the bulbs are supplied directly from an always-on fuse source?

This question is in relation to Electrical Issues. There's an interior lighting wiring diagram attached in post #5.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,290 Posts
If you look at the following diagram, you'll see that the same power that is provided to the puddle/step lights also powers the left front door switch, for keyless unlocking. So that means that the light has to be grounded all the time and the IM controls the power circuit.

Attachments

·
Registered
19,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@cardoc

What year is the second Baja?

The 2001 doesn't have the Integrated Module as in the 2003 and 2004. In 2001 (and 2002), according to the wiring diagrams, those step lights are powered directly from M/B FUSE NO. 2 in the main fuse box. As the fuse is always powered, I'd expect to see 12 V at the bulbs at all times; both sides of the bulbs when the door is closed (door switch pushed in) and one side when the door is open (door switch released). Interestingly, the 2006 Baja appears to be the same as the 2001 and 2002 in the wiring diagrams; the step lights are powered directly from M/B FUSE NO. 2, not from an IM.

·
Premium Member
16,290 Posts
The other BAJA is an 05 turbo. It'll be the same as the 06 I expect. I hadn't looked up the wiring diagrams yet. The only other Subies I have at my disposal is my 05 R and the 11 Outback 2.5.

·
Registered
19,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The other BAJA is an 05 turbo. It'll be the same as the 06 I expect.
Based on the wiring diagram, the 05 Baja is a carryover of the 2004 Baja as far as the step lights go. It has the IM, with the power to the step light bulbs coming from terminal A17 of the IM. That should be useful.

·
Premium Member
16,290 Posts
I'll post this evening what I find. It'll be after 6:30 CST before I get to the house.

·
Registered
19,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
p.s., I really don't know what to expect. It might be that there's power to the bulbs all the time even though it goes through the IM, or maybe it's switched with the door position. . ..

·
Premium Member
16,290 Posts
No positive or ground at the bulb terminals with the door shut on the 05 BAJA. So the switch closes the ground most likely and the IM sends the positive.

·
Registered
19,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is interesting. It's switched power (positive) to the bulbs. Makes sense; no point sourcing the power from the IM unless it's intended to control it in some way.

The IM is connected to the door switch circuits; when any of the doors is open, terminal A7 on the IM is pulled to ground. I presume that causes the IM to close an internal circuit that connects power from fuse #2 to terminal A17 that goes to the bulbs.

Great. That answers the remaining "how does it work" question.

Much appreciated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts