Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, this forum looked like some good chatter on all aspects of the Subaru world. As of this moment I drive a 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (V6-2WD) and just moved to it from a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee (4WD-V8-QuadratracII). Extremely disappointed in engine response, gas mileage, handling, lack of 4WD, and a load of other "things". Been doing my shopping and found what I think is a great deal on a 2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium w/sunroof but before I leap I was hoping to pick some knowledgeable brains (this is where you come in :D)

We kayak and mountain bike and feel the OB is better suited for this, especially the AWD. But a few questions :

- We have 2 river kayaks and we have always used factory racks on the Jeep and really don't have the $$$ for a big Thule J-system or something like that. Question is - can we fit two 'yaks on foam push on pads and tie-downs without having them stick off the sides or be unstable?

- We also have a 2 bike hitch rack that fits in a 2" hitch. Can a hitch kit be fairly easily mounted on this without too much trouble? We do NOT need electrical hookups, we never tow a boat or trailer that needs lights. The Jeep hitch was four bolts and 10 minutes to install.

- Lastly, kind of got addicted to Bluetooth phone and although this has the sunroof we want, it does not have factory Bluetooth. We can supposedly get it installed but not sure how good it is or if it's worth the +$350 just for the kit (or how hard it is to install).

So any and all help would be greatly appreciated and so would hast as we're supposed to go look it over soon and it's 2-1/2 hours to get to it so we like to have as much info as we can when we go.

THANKS!!!! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Snap on foam blocks should work as long as you don't overload the rack weight capacity.

I added a 2" rcvr hidden hitch from etrailer ( $170) took 2 hrs from start to finish no lift and no help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Snap on foam blocks should work as long as you don't overload the rack weight capacity.
The 'yaks are light as a feather so no issue with the weight. The width is more my concern but I guess that will have to be figured out when the time arrives. At least I'm sure I can do a single quick as ever (even quicker as the Outback is a lot lower then the Jeep).

I added a 2" rcvr hidden hitch from etrailer ( $170) took 2 hrs from start to finish no lift and no help.
Awesome! Thanks! I added an after market hitch on both my Jeeps, just didn't know what kind of work was required on the Outback :29:

Actually was expecting to be a Subaru Outback "owner" when I checked this thread but guess it wasn't meant to be. Drove +100 miles in torrential Florida downpours to see a supposedly mint blue 2010 Outback Premium with moon roof and low mileage. Everything I wanted 'cept for Bluetooth. Well....

Arrived and first thing I found was front left fender well was bent and the trim was almost falling off. Then when I folded the rear seats down I found cat hair all around. Hmmmm.... then we started the test drive and my sensitive old nose picked up ole de' litter box :gasp: and that was something I wasn't about to battle with. To put it over the top the transmission oil temp light kept flashing the whole trip... :28:

But..... I did drive enough to know I really like the feel for the vehicle, the looks, the open clear view all around, the moon roof, the rear storage, the seat comfort, pretty much everything except all of the flaws. So now I'm anxious to find something that fits in my driveway :cool:

Thanks for the info, everything helps.

·
Registered
2010 OBW limited 2.5 CVT
1,602 Posts
As far as the bluetooth goes, just get an earpiece. Much cheaper and goes to the next car with you and will link to your next phone when you change phones. Then you never need to worry about someone else riding with you hearing something you don't want them to hear and Hands free only areas won't be an issue as you will be hands free all the time.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,112 Posts
I use this Amazon.com: Motorola T325 Bluetooth Portable Car Speaker (Black, Retail Packaging): Cell Phones & Accessories for my Bluetooth. It is cheap, has lots of features like voice dialing, last number recall, favorites, a rechargeable battery that uses your 12v outlet, etc. Clips to the visor and I can swap it between my Outback and my Suburban (like my Tom Tom GPS). There are thousands of variations on the web - I like Amazon for the reviews. I bought this one when it became illegal to talk on a hand held cell phone in MD, but it is so convenient while driving I can't see why I didn't buy one sooner. Easier to use and remember than an earpiece - which looks sort of Borg anyway. I'm tempted to buy a case of them to hand out to all the folks I see talking on their hand held cell phones while driving.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,343 Posts
Personally, I think $350 would be better put towards an aftermarket system. You could get a very nice stereo that had Bluetooth built in.

Or you could go with the ear piece/box style for less than $100.

Carefully test drive any 2010-11, as some of them were shakers. See the shaker threads in the gen 4 section. A shaker will be noticeable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts