Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm traveling for work, started my 2011 Outback with 130K miles (it started and ran flawlessly), and all of a sudden my dash panel blew up with blinking lights.

Specifically, the following lights/indicators began to flash:
CRUISE
BRAKE

and
AT OIL TEMP

Also the CHECK ENGINE light came on, as well as the little icon/light of a sliding car (something about traction control?)

The car continues to start and run flawlessly—I'm noticing nothing other than the array of blinking lights.

Should I be very worried? Or is this just a silly electrical bug requiring a reset of some kind?

THANKS!
Scott in Sacramento, CA

·
Registered
2008 Outback limited 2.5l
36 Posts
You need to get the codes read. The light are all on as there is some kind of fault. The light are to get your attention.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
706 Posts
When my 2013 3.6R 's dash lit up like a Christmas tree back in October of last year, the issue turned out to be a failed oxygen sensor. Get your OBDII codes read. If your code turns out to be P0031, bingo - it is that same failed oxygen sensor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2010 OB that did the same. I could clear the codes temporarily by disconnecting the battery and shorting the positive cable to chases ground. Ultimate fix was a bad 'front' O2 sensor. Manage to replace the O2 sensor without the special socket. Spent more time getting smart and troubleshooting that it took to do the replacing. All is well and has been for many of thousands of miles. YMMV but worth a try. Attached is how to test that sensor:

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited Graphite Gray Metallic with power moonroof, Auto dim rear view mirror & home link, Backup camera and Media hub
242 Posts
Other than checking the codes, please check the battery power and terminals if you did not do battery maintenance before the winter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Shadepine, BTW your car may feel normal but as I recall it [engine management] lapses back to what I think is called learn mode. Disconnecting the battery, again as I recall, will clear the memory of the ECM as well. Keep us posted please.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone—much appreciated! After posting here, I found this mile-long thread:

There seem to be almost countless reasons for the "Christmas Tree" of dash lights, but the O2 sensors seemed to be one of the more prevalent. Others included...
• poorly-seated gas cap (or gas cap needing replacement)
• the type of gas (some reported using better gas made the issue go away)
• a bad catalytic converter (yikes!) but my impression is that this is rare and many people have spent $,$$$ to replace it for no reason
• some sort of issue with the transmission

In spite of the fact that the warning lights are there to warn of a real issue, many people have cleared the codes/disconnected the battery and continued to drive their Subarus without incident for tens of thousands of miles. (Suggesting that it is NOT always true that warning lights = a serious issue that needs to be addressed.)

I'll go find an Autozone and have the codes read. I bought a brand-new battery just a few months ago so fairly certain the problem isn't there (or corroded battery terminals).

If it's code P0031 (as mentioned above) then I guess it's the O2 sensor.
If it's code P0420, it's a catalytic code—but apparently this does NOT necessarily mean the catalytic converter is bad.
If it's P0700, it could be a malfunction with the transmission controls. (Also P2750 and P0890.)
One person got a P0028, meaning variable valve lift for the intake valves for bank 2 will not engage.

Needless to say this is all pretty vague and frustrating! I'll keep you posted after I have the codes read...

Scott

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE: Dropped by Autozone and checked the OBD II codes. Here's what came up:
• P0700 - Transmission Control System (MIL Request)
• P2763 - Torque Converter Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Control Circuit High
• P2762 - Torque Converter Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Control Circuit Range/Performance

After checking the codes, I disconnected the battery, then reconnected, clearing the codes. All warning lights went off and after 10-15 miles of driving haven't come back on (yet).

I'm traveling for work now and have 450 miles to drive home. I'll take it to a shop when I'm home, and going to assume that whatever is wrong won't result in the car blowing up and stranding me on the highway (especially if the warning lights never come back on). It's running fine right now.

Scott

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE: Dropped by Autozone and checked the OBD II codes. Here's what came up:
• P0700 - Transmission Control System (MIL Request)
• P2763 - Torque Converter Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Control Circuit High
• P2762 - Torque Converter Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Control Circuit Range/Performance

After checking the codes, I disconnected the battery, then reconnected, clearing the codes. All warning lights went off and after 10-15 miles of driving haven't come back on (yet).

I'm traveling for work now and have 450 miles to drive home. I'll take it to a shop when I'm home, and going to assume that whatever is wrong won't result in the car blowing up and stranding me on the highway (especially if the warning lights never come back on). It's running fine right now.

Scott
Found this page online that suggests the P2762-63 codes are bad, and gives a range of symptoms one might notice that are indicative of problems. I'm not experincing any of these symptoms at all.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited. White, Sunroof, 2.5, CVT. Bought 2/15/11. Love it! Broke 102K, 7/19.
414 Posts
While I can't recall my exact symptoms nor the repairs, I had a similar if not identical light show on my '11 when I was about 125 miles from home at my sons house. Since nothing fit the "park it or you're gonna die" category, I drove home and brought the car in to the dealer. I had a $1000 repair that included a sensor IIRC but the paperwork is in the car and I'm in the house and there's snow on the ground so I'm not going to check it right now. I know my mechanic was not interested in working on it, but he's only got a small shop with limited space and a car in pieces while he troubleshoots the problems was more than he wanted to bite off. The dealership did fine by me as far as I was concerned.

Good luck!

While trying you posted again and I am going to ask if you ever had the transmission checked out before the 100K mark? I did and they found issues that were a warranty repair/replace. Unfortunately you are well beyond 100K although SOA may bend a bit if it is a tranny issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
While I can't recall my exact symptoms nor the repairs, I had a similar if not identical light show on my '11 when I was about 125 miles from home at my sons house. Since nothing fit the "park it or you're gonna die" category, I drove home and brought the car in to the dealer. I had a $1000 repair that included a sensor IIRC but the paperwork is in the car and I'm in the house and there's snow on the ground so I'm not going to check it right now. I know my mechanic was not interested in working on it, but he's only got a small shop with limited space and a car in pieces while he troubleshoots the problems was more than he wanted to bite off. The dealership did fine by me as far as I was concerned.

Good luck!

While trying you posted again and I am going to ask if you ever had the transmission checked out before the 100K mark? I did and they found issues that were a warranty repair/replace. Unfortunately you are well beyond 100K although SOA may bend a bit if it is a tranny issue.
I inherited this 2011 Outback from my elderly mother. It had about 90K miles when she gave it to me, and I've put another 40K on it. She was totally anal and meticulous about having it serviced by a Subaru dealer at every required service interval (and gave all the paperwork to prove it), so I'm assuming at 90K miles it was in excellent condition and would have had everything checked/maintained/replaced.

Unfortunately I missed the 105K service (life was crazy-busy and I was broke), so now the vehicle is at 130K miles. But as I mentioned above, it's running perfectly at the moment. I'm noticing no weird sounds, hitches or lags in the drivetrain, or anything else.

Scott

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
I inherited this 2011 Outback from my elderly mother. It had about 90K miles when she gave it to me, and I've put another 40K on it. She was totally anal and meticulous about having it serviced by a Subaru dealer at every required service interval (and gave all the paperwork to prove it), so I'm assuming at 90K miles it was in excellent condition and would have had everything checked/maintained/replaced.

Unfortunately I missed the 105K service (life was crazy-busy and I was broke), so now the vehicle is at 130K miles. But as I mentioned above, it's running perfectly at the moment. I'm noticing no weird sounds, hitches or lags in the drivetrain, or anything else.

Scott
You do realize that if you did not have the timing belt replaced at 105K you are living on seriously borrowed time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You do realize that if you did not have the timing belt replaced at 105K you are living on seriously borrowed time.
Yeah, I've heard that—and do intend to take it into thew shop as soon as I'm not traveling (next week).
I think I've also heard something about spark plugs going bad and wreaking havoc...

Scott

1 - 14 of 13 Posts