Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5i M/T
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 Subaru Outback, got hit from behind and I'm trying to open the hatch. The latch doesn't sound like it's binding: I can press the hatch release and feel it open, and I've also verified it's not binding from the inside (I can push the emergency release to the right). The hatch itself doesn't feel like it's binding up either (there is some play against the latch when I work the hatch from the outside). Yet it's stuck closed. I've tried prying outward on the hatch with someone holding the latch open from the inside, and it simply won't open.

Suggestions? I've attached an image. It does appear the bottom of the hatch was forced up in the collision. I simply can't figure out where it's binding up.

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5i M/T
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We've tried from both sides. Other than some play in the hatch, nothing.

I'm not too worried about messing the door up, I plan on replacing it anyway.

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
Looking at the damage, the latch is most likely bent in some fashion preventing it from releasing.

I only see two options.

A big butt pry bar and force it open or an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel and start hacking away on the hatch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.