Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
'02 H6 Sedan - gone :(
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

I've noticed in a signatures that a few of you are from Oregon. I have a potential job in Portland. Being from Missouri, and never been to Oregon. Help me out. Places to live. School districts to avoid. Things to do. Web sites. You name it.

I'm scheduled for a trip out in a couple of weeks.

Thanks.

·
Registered
03 Outback, H4, 5 spd
6 Posts
I live in the SW Portland area. What area of Oregon is your potential job in? If Portland, then areas to live may be dependent on where the job is and how far you want to commute.

I live in the Hillsdale area and love it...close to work, great neighborhoods, weekend farmer markets, great running trails, etc.

Try this link for basic info:
www.oregonlive.com

Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Office is on SW Third St. I guess this would be considered downtown? Will be visiting 9/9 to scout things out & meet folks at the office.

What's the perception about living in Vancouver?

·
Registered
03 Outback, H4, 5 spd
6 Posts
Downtown is a cool place to work. Negotiate parking into your job offer. I hear Vancouver is a great place to live, but the commute into downtown can get pretty bad. They now have a light-rail train (MAX) going to north Portland...you could drive to a Park-and-Ride and take it to downtown.

You'll feel right at home with an OB in Portland...they are every place. Good luck.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I'm off...

I'm off tomorrow bright & early to Portland.

Any last minute things I should see or check out while I'm there?

I have a long hard road in front of me. The wife is starting to get cold feet about moving. I hate it when women change their mind so quickly.

Thanks.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Made it back

Well, I survived. Wow, what a long couple of flights. I flew through Denver. Two hours each leg.

A very unique city. I was amazed with the downtown and the public transportation system. You guys are lucky.

I was able find a decent apt near Tualatin. I don't know if I want to commute that far. Also, found rental homes in Vancouver.

Any comments for commuting? How does the Max/bus system work? Do you buy a monthly pass? Company pays for 70% of public transportation costs and has company vehicles if needed.

Thanks.

·
Registered
03 Outback, H4, 5 spd
6 Posts
Commuting by public transportation in Portland is great.
Coming from Tualatin you'll have to take a bus. If you decide on Vancouver you could use the MAX into downtown.
If you cycle, Portland is very biker friendly and commuting can fun...a lot of people do it.
Try this website for more info: www.trimet.org
Good luck.

BS

·
Registered
2020 Outback LDF MSRP $37,383
102 Posts
Throw away your Bush, Cheney badges if you settle in Portland. Go the Oregon OUTBACK where they use Kerry buttons for target practice.

·
Registered
'05 Outback 2.5 XT LTD
43 Posts
scottbr said:
Commuting by public transportation in Portland is great.
Coming from Tualatin you'll have to take a bus. If you decide on Vancouver you could use the MAX into downtown.
If you cycle, Portland is very biker friendly and commuting can fun...a lot of people do it.
Try this website for more info: www.trimet.org
Good luck.

BS
Second that, commuting from Tualatin is hard. Its better to come out to the West side. I bought a house just west of the Beaverton city limits on a MAX stop and commute into Portland by MAX. Very easy and there are plenty of new and old homes out here available right on the MAX line. Keeps the Suby miles low and avoids the rolling parking lots.

·
Registered
2002 Outback, 6 disk changer, limo tint, yakima rack system; crossbars. In the winter Yakima Platinum Pro 18, summer mako saddles. Front cover. Hakka Q tires for winter time use. 70K miles and sti
50 Posts
tlippy said:
Throw away your Bush, Cheney badges if you settle in Portland. Go the Oregon OUTBACK where they use Kerry buttons for target practice.
:blahblah: :ucrazy: :blahblah:

·
Outback onsight...
'03outback, '98 forester S lifted m/t's, 4eat, lsd
1,264 Posts
WELCOME TO OREGON!

I live in tigard. We should get togther for a cruise around the city and Mtns/coast.......:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts