Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am 19 and got my hands on a 2007 outback xt. I was thinking about installing a Cobbs cold air intake and a nameless performance after the axle exhaust. Both I can instal myself but I don't know how to do the tune on it. Would love some input on this and am looking to see if this is even a good idea.

moderator note: nipped from deleted near duplicate thread

I am planning on installing a Cobbs cold air intake and a nameless performance after the axle exhaust for my outback xt. What do I have to do to make sure that after I add these I don't explode the engine.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,194 Posts
moved thread and updated title.

a whole lot of people here think cobb things suck,....and nameless = drone vs. good exhaust sounds.

and what you got there is one of the most expensive to keep, maint intensive subarus ever made,....that also guzzles premium gas,

what major and minor maint. was done to the car before you bought it? do you have records from a previous owner?

(lots of sad $$$$ stories here about XT's gone wrong).

and don't double post in screws up the forum, a lot.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Nameless mufflers don’t drone if the rest is stock.

Cold Air intake is somewhat pointless on a mostly stock engine regardless of the brand. They’ll all need a tune and don’t help much other than noise.

Save your money for maintenance and repairs. They’re coming. And they’re not cheap.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,119 Posts
My Gawd...My young son...do NOT drink the COBB kool-aide.

Search and research here on this forum, search me @traildogck, search XRT tuning....

And many other XT threads....

Welcome, at 17, lets try to do this boosted wagon right....KK?

·
Master Caster
16,119 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cold air intakes/short rams lent in unnecessary things and can lead to your engine having a shorter life, in the end its not worth it.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,194 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Save your money for maintenance and repairs. They’re coming. And they’re not cheap.
Gonna just emphasize this before it gets lost.

If you're poor enough to buy one of these sexy dinosaurs as your mode of transportation, be prepared to deal with a 10+ yr old aspiring to be premium car. These are either ok enough, completely awesome, or groaning and dying. And stepping in between these phases can get to be infuriating.

·
Master Caster
16,119 Posts
and longboarder is going to eat your lunch when you get that supercharger on his monster 3.6.
We shall see...He needs to have a faster car than me for once, he deserves it.

However, there are serious cooling problems with the Raptor kit for the 3.6R. The intercooler system for the intake is garbage. The gal in the XRT group who has the Raptor SC kit is at her wits end.

·
Registered
2005 18psi supercharged U5 Outback w/207k+ miles
756 Posts
I wouldn't bother with either, just save money for maintenance. Maybe do a good tune up to start with.
The intake does nothing and exhaust probably doesn't do much.

Most likely mufflers only wouldn't really need a tune.

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT limited
386 Posts
Hooooooold up hold up. I will toss a couple learned lessons as I am cobb-married. I only run the stage 1 tune for a 12 year old engine. Be nice. You are not a WRX.

Wantanoutback is absolutely right - go do a full maintenance on the car - plugs, oil, trans fluid, coolant, rotors, pads, brake fluid, and replace all the bushings that are old. Maintenance before modifications!!!!!

1. Yes you can get a cobb intake+airbox BUT you need the accessport to work with the intake. SO intake is $300 + $600 for the accessport or a used V2 thats unmarried. You cannot use one without the other.
2. Nameless......ORRRR go classy with AVO. Better brand, better quality, better drone....I mean growl.

NOW learned lessons as I have the cobb system installed on mine and running a v2 accessport. Is it worth it, meh, the tunes are weak, they aren't built for your car. When they were tuned they were based off new XT's on the dyno, not aged dinosaurs. You don't know how your XT was treated previously so you probably don't know how it will handle the tune. And gremlins will pop out when you load the accessport. I ran the stg2 93oct tune for a year and then changed to the stg1 tune. Gives me a little more boost for a giggle. But there are barely any gains. What you do gain is the ability to check your engine, see the data and fix small things. Like the dreaded low idle. Which will appear.

Cobb intakes only work with cobb tunes or pro-cobb tuners. Nothing else. You cannot tune it. AT ALL. All you will get a CEL. Suck a sad nut but that's the honest truth. Most tuners don't like tuning on a cobb intake. So you'll have to research a tune shop IF you aren't going to get the accessport. DO NOT install the intake without the accessport. IF you look at the other forums, more people have issues with the cobb tunes because they aren't tweaked to their engine.

What I would suggest IF you want to be in the cheap cool crowd.....get an SPT intake for an outback, get the nameless or avo mufflers and call it a day. The SPT requires no tune, the mid/mufflers requires no tune. You'll only require a tune IF you fudge with the downpipe, TMIC, headers, etc.

Hope that helps. But honestly - maintenance before mods. Make sure your car is in top condition before messing with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts