Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hear the sound occasionally when making turns. Happens more when turning uphill/downhill with little bumps. Sounds like metal over plastic from the rear right. It's light but annoying on a new car. Not the safety belt buckle or cargo cover. Did anyone notice this on the 13's? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Hear the sound occasionally when making turns. Happens more when turning uphill/downhill with little bumps. Sounds like metal over plastic from the rear right. It's light but annoying on a new car. Not the safety belt buckle or cargo cover. Did anyone notice this on the 13's? Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Regardless, mine was the front passenger seat belt clip hitting the center door pillar.

·
Registered
16,312 Posts
Any suggestions would be appreciated!
There are threads dealing with a "rattle" or "clicking" coming from the rear in MY 2005+. In some cases, it was the adjustment of the rear gate (hatch) door latch striker. (The hatch would shift slightly when turning or going over bumps, and as the latch wasn't tight against the striker it would move with the door, leading to the sound.)

Here's one earlier thread with links to others:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/109-gen-3-2005-2009/43540-rear-hatch-rattle.html

And here's a post related to a 2013:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-present/47336-2013-outback-limited-rattle.html#post451457

Not saying this is your problem but something to consider.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
I don't think so. I've had two and both times I had to unclip it to completely retract into roof. Some dealers might do it but for liability reasons I doubt it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just checked and the belt is unbuckled so it should be 'retracted to the roof' ?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
License plate rattling? I had this on my old Subaru for a few years nearly drove me bonkers then my wife got me a new plate frame - I installed the new plate frame and what do you know that **** rattle was gone! The Freaking license plate was the cause.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
License plate rattling? I had this on my old Subaru for a few years nearly drove me bonkers then my wife got me a new plate frame - I installed the new plate frame and what do you know that **** rattle was gone! The Freaking license plate was the cause.
Shouldn't be my case. I already checked and applied four screws. They are tight :)

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I had our sales guy get 2 more screws for the rear plate before we drove off the lot- I didn't want the plate banging into the trunk when we closed the hatch like it did on my Saturn. :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sounds kinda familiar. Perhaps what I'm dealing with and what is described in the linked thread....

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-present/40567-2011-3-6r-back-seat-door-rattle-click-sound.html

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is the noise coming from top or bottom rear area?
Hopefully an adjustment to the tail gate will fix the issue.
Subaru now acknowleged that their Outback and Legacy wagons might have a spot weld failure during the manufacturing process. Check this out!
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2010-legacy-wagon-gt-spot-welding-point-failure-132510.html
Subaru issued a repair procedure to their dealers to carry out additional spot welds. However this procedure is a piece of crap.

This kind of weld failure also occurs from the rear roof area. A number of vehicles have be recalled to rectify this same problem and sadly in some cases, noises still evident after re-welding.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is the noise coming from top or bottom rear area?
Hopefully an adjustment to the tail gate will fix the issue.
Subaru now acknowleged that their Outback and Legacy wagons might have a spot weld failure during the manufacturing process. Check this out!
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2010-legacy-wagon-gt-spot-welding-point-failure-132510.html
Subaru issued a repair procedure to their dealers to carry out additional spot welds. However this procedure is a piece of crap.

This kind of weld failure also occurs from the rear roof area. A number of vehicles have be recalled to rectify this same problem and sadly in some cases, noises still evident after re-welding.

Thanks for the information! Looks like it should be this issue. To me, It's more likely from the bottom rear, on the passenger side. It's not the tailgate.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had a clicking sound on my 13 outback premium. But the noise is from front passenger glove box and dash area. The noise was there when I drive on uneven road surface. After few hundreds miles, I can hear it almost on all speed and surface. It sounds like some thing lose under the dash. Local dealer kept my car for 10 days (including weekend) to Pin point the noise and they removed literally everything they can behind the glove box including a/c blower motor. They cannot pin point the noise. Subaru sent their regional service engineering to look at my car at 10 days mark. They found out it was a defective shock. After they replaced the shock, the noise is done. Just shared my story and hopefully it may help u

·
Registered
69 Posts
Count me down for this as well. This is exactly the area where the clicking sound I hear is coming from. It happens on and off, usually on bumps or other cracks in the road, especially while turning..seems to be more likely to happen when I turn right rather than left. (?)

I took the car half apart and had my wife drive around with me in the cargo area with my ear down on the sheet metal to figure out where it was coming from. I was thinking it was a bad shock or something with the noise coming up through that spot, but this answer seems much more likely.

Anyone taken their car in to have it looked at yet?

Mine is loud enough for me to hear over the radio and while my car is an '11, I still consider it new and the noise really bugs the crap out of me!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
likely.Are you still having this sound now?
I am still having this sound now.

CARVEN's fix in post #16 of your thread seems pretty on target...at least that's where I'd guess the sound comes from. I tried to reach ctplake (post #24 of the thread I linked), but didn't get a reply.

This click sound is different than the rear gate rattle. If you have the click...you know it (sounds like CKK and mcaurilio do too). Chasing a noise might be a nuisance for the dealer, but a bad weld means compromised structural integrity which reduces vehicle safety in a collision.

My dealer did a thorough job of trying to stop the rear gate from rattling....much was replaced and now the gate closes with a nice from thud and is much quieter. As good as it's gonna get I figure. Not as good as other vehicles I am familiar with. <O:p></O:p>

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
About this Discussion
56 Replies
22 Participants
NinjaTurtle2.5
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing