Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 3.0R LL.Bean
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! Shift Lock Override - 2000 OBW Limited.

Hi, I'm new.

My 2000 OBW (Limited) is locked in park unless I use the shift lock override. The manual says that I should "take the vehicle to the nearest Subaru dealer immediately for repair" :(.

I was just wondering if anyone has some advice on how to fix this problem and/or the cost. I bought this vehicle used (not from a Subaru dealer).

Thanks.

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
This MAY be a silly question, but are you putting your foot on the brake when trying to shift? Modern automatics always require this, I had a Mazda Astina and it had a button you could push instead of putting your foot on the brake, which was kinda silly because then you needed two hands to move it from Park..

·
Registered
2008 3.0R LL.Bean
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup....it's a silly question ;) j/k.

The shifter is locked. As I push the shifter sideways I can hear an electrical clicking sound.

This must be a common problem since there is a page devoted to it in the user manual. I haven't the slightest idea whether the problem is electrical or mechanical.

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
2008 3.0R LL.Bean
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update:

I called my local Subaru dealer and the technicain told me to check my brake lights. Sure enough they were malfunctioning (always on). The car is at the dealer now for repair. It's also getting two recall repairs done that I was unaware of.

·
Registered
2002 OBW, 2.5L, 5 sp, White
161 Posts
where's it at now....

Phobos-
Any word on what the fix was, and whether it worked?
Thanks
Snafu

·
Registered
1999 Legacy Outback
3 Posts
Shift Lock Override

Check to see if your rear brake light and the horn work (these two run off the same fuse on my 99 Outback). If the brake light is not working, the fuse for the brake is blown. If the fuse to the brake is blown, then the transmission will not move out of "Park" because the brake must be pushed to move it out of "Park".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts