Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6L Limited with EyeSight
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone been successful in keeping the gauges from doing a full sweep at start-up on a 2013 Outback Limited with EyeSight?

Was able to adjust the fuel economy readout to -4 within the Dealer Customize Mode, but no luck with eliminating the full sweep feature of the gauges.

·
Premium Member
2013 Outback 3.6R Ltd- Nav, Eyesight, HK, Graphite Gray Metallic
815 Posts
I forget what they're called, but it's a setting on those INFO buttons located on your steering wheel. Same place you configure sounds for Eyesight, etc.

·
Registered
2019 Bronze Limited
205 Posts
I dont have eyesight, but on my limited you use the controls under the steering wheel to change that sort of thing. I know i turned off my gauge sweep there.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5i
112 Posts
Just curious, why disable it? I kinda like it, it seems like a gauge check, such as all the dash lights coming on.
yeah, I think gauge sweep was pretty cool.
heck I remember when I had my VW I had to buy vagcom
and do special coding to make the car do " gauge sweep "

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i limited
212 Posts
I can't imagine a reason I would ever care to keep my car from doing the sweep. Really curious about the OP's motivation.

·
Registered
2011 OB 3.6R Limited
93 Posts
I wish it would rev the engine and blink the lights too. That would be even cooler. Maybe a little beep-beep of the horn in morse-code of your choice.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

·
Registered
2010 2.5i Outback, 2015 2.5i Legacy w/Eyesight
589 Posts
I wish it would rev the engine and blink the lights too. That would be even cooler. Maybe a little beep-beep of the horn in morse-code of your choice.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
I am not 100% sure if this sarcasm is directed at the OP or the people who like the gauge sweep.

I don't know if the ECU and gauges are designed intelligently (and cheaply) enough that the ECU performs a check for functionality from the gauges during the sweep (apart from just a visual check). It probably doesn't given that it can be disabled and this sort of check would probably add enough cost where penny-pinching the margins wins out, but I would see this sort of check as a logical reason to have a gauge sweep. Malfunctioning gauges are a relatively rare problem, but I'd rather know that my speedometer isn't reading above 50mph before I get on the highway.

That said, the gauge sweep itself doesn't do a lot for me in this regard since I'm not watching where every single gauge goes every single time I start my car. In that sense, if it doesn't do anything for you and you find it annoying, I can see an argument for disabling the gauge sweep. Personally, the behavior doesn't bother me at all.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon
311 Posts
If you have the Snapshot from Progressive Insurance that little thing that plugs into the OBD-II port the gauge sweep will have it reporting that you hit what ever the top speed is on the speedo and ding you for it. A family member has it in their Traverse and it said they went 150 MPH because of the gauge sweep. Im pretty sure it was the gauge sweep too since obviously you wont hit 150 in a chevy traverse LOL

·
Registered
2010 2.5i Outback, 2015 2.5i Legacy w/Eyesight
589 Posts
If you have the Snapshot from Progressive Insurance that little thing that plugs into the OBD-II port the gauge sweep will have it reporting that you hit what ever the top speed is on the speedo and ding you for it. A family member has it in their Traverse and it said they went 150 MPH because of the gauge sweep. Im pretty sure it was the gauge sweep too since obviously you wont hit 150 in a chevy traverse LOL
Hmm... On that note, bigger tires = lower insurance rates

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,103 Posts
That's the fault of the SnapShot. I would imagine Progressive could read the data and see the engine was JUST STARTED! Idiotic if they see that 150 MPH 1/2 second after start and ding you for it. What this tells me is that the device is reading the CAN bus signal to the speedometer rather than some other data signal that gives it the road speed.

·
Registered
2005 LL Bean
138 Posts
That's the fault of the SnapShot. I would imagine Progressive could read the data and see the engine was JUST STARTED! Idiotic if they see that 150 MPH 1/2 second after start and ding you for it. What this tells me is that the device is reading the CAN bus signal to the speedometer rather than some other data signal that gives it the road speed.
If that's the case, I wonder if you could hack another OBDII port to send false data to the snapshot devise. Similar to how a Power Commander fools fuel injection ECU's with skewed data.

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,696 Posts
Is their a teenaged boy in that household? Because everything I was allowed to touch, went faster than it should have been able, up until I turned 20.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i Dark Blue Pearl/Ivory w'Eyesight
703 Posts
Probably get you for stopping quickly from 150 to zero on the reverse sweep as well. I should think that Progressive is smarter than that, but then, you just don't know, do you?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts