Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Wife came home and said the sunroof wasn't working. Went out to take a look and the flip up front portion is twisted and won't move. The large back moonroof will still open and close. I see there's a nylon sleeve broken on one of the mechanisms which you can see in the pictures.
I tried to move the different sliding parts using a dowel rod but no luck. It looks like the front of the window is higher than it should be - like the passenger side looks correct.

There's a hook on the drivers side that doesn't look right, I can see the pin that it slides onto but the passenger side looks to be on the pin and I can't get a good look at it.

I've included some photos in hopes someone can tell me how to get this thing closed until I can have more time to dig into it. I'm currently trying to finish sanding my new hardwood floor and I have tools rented and costing by the hour!

Attachments

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
At ease friends!

I was able to remove the 4 nuts that hold the window in place and it popped out. Once out of the bind, I was able to move the hook mechanism forward and the hinge mechanism returned back in place. I ran the moonroof forward into place then returned the front window into place. Everything seems to be back in place and sealed good. I'll pull that fuse and worry about it later.

Here's what she looks like with the hatches battened!

Time for a beer, then back to the floor sanding!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,759 Posts
I'll pull that fuse and worry about it later.
Not that you're going to need it this time of year, but that fuse also takes out the front wiper deicer relay, FWIW.

Glad it's been sorted out, though, and thanks for the follow-up. We often are left wondering how it all turned out.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not that you're going to need it this time of year, but that fuse also takes out the front wiper deicer relay, FWIW.

Glad it's been sorted out, though, and thanks for the follow-up. We often are left wondering how it all turned out.
Thanks for the heads up on the fuse!

Now I've got some homework to find those nylon sleeves that run in the track......I'll wait until the dry season before tearing into that job! I can't remember when we've had so much rain for so many consecutive days! Waiting for the river to go down to normal so I can get the boat out!

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,578 Posts
Now I've got some homework to find those nylon sleeves that run in the track......
I'm unfortunately in the same boat. From my research, they are not sold separately and are assembled as part of the sunroof assembly. There is MAJOR deconstructing to get those out.

I've resolved to not using the sunroof until I can either find a complete replacement (for good money) or get those out and 3D print some replacements.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe it's time for Traildogck to diversify? How about it Chris?

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,151 Posts
Maybe it's time for Traildogck to diversify? How about it Chris?
Oh shoot, of course. I mean, I can copy anything ... cast in plastic also. I broke a d*mn leaf spring on one of my Chevy truck 1/24 models, my daughters pink tow truck. I just took the 2 1/2s, made a mold and cast a new spring. The place I buy my materials sell to a guy who works for Disney and makes models for the Star Wars movies.

https://www.reynoldsam.com/denver/

I need to see what part it is. Frankie is not licensed and has that dual roof. My shade rods are broken tho. Typical. But maybe I could dig into it. I have my hands full right now with a dual-row bearing upgrade for the BC coilovers. I am having a b*tch of a time getting them apart.

Whatever knucklehead put them together (Me) was a bit overzealous with the tightening. I had to use some serious cheater bars and build a rig to hold them.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whatever knucklehead put the together (Me) was a bit overzealous with the tightening. I had to use some serious cheater bars and build a rig to hold them.

Something is missing in the pic.......knuckle skin and blood!

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,151 Posts
Something is missing in the pic.......knuckle skin and blood!
Isn't the use of worm clamps (other than their intended use) foreshadowing enough of impending doom?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts