Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Subaru Outback HO6 with 146K. I have recently noticed a trend when the temperatures rise above 85 degrees. My thermometer starts to rise and generally stops at the 1st hash mark on the upper level. (See attached picture)

On very hot days, it may rise slightly above the hash. When this happens, the cold air from my AC stops and warm air starts to come out of the vents. If I de-accelerate, the temperature from the vents starts to get cool again. I've never seen it go into the red "H" area.

This cannot be normal...

Note: when the temps are cooler I generally do not see the needle rise any further than the mid point and everything runs seems to go fine with the AC.

I decided to have the radiator flushed today and coolant replaced and it did not help at all.

What's going on? A little concerned and trying to anticipate what the Subaru mechanic is going to tell me. Hoping its just a thermostat.... UGH!

Please let me know your thoughts.

Attachments

·
Registered
19,398 Posts
Have you owned the car since it was new, or is this a recent purchase? What do you know about the car's maintenance, especially the cooling system?

For example, has the thermostat ever been changed, and if it has, was a genuine Subaru part used, or was it an aftermarket brand?

Whenever the temperature gauge goes even a touch above the normal, mid-point, the two radiator fans should be on full speed. This is something you could confirm. If one or both of the fans isn't running, it could lead to overheating.

I believe the air conditioning is automatically turned off when the engine is overheating -- this reduces the load on the engine -- so your observation about the temperature is confirming that the engine control module is sensing the overheating situation.

Also, check the front of the radiator (AC condensor) to see if it might be blocked by an accumulation of dirt, leaves and/or bugs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought the car at 93k. The car is already at the shop. No word yet. I believe a fan or both Fan(s) kick on but did not confirm if both turn on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts