Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been looking at wagons includeing Acura tsx and Vw sportwagons.The acura needs premium the Vw has hpfp issues in some that scare the heck out of me and neither have awd.We currently have a 08 crv and I will inherit that from my wife.I actualy like the look of the 09 3rd gens a bit more but im open to the 2010 body style.My wife seems to have a want for paddle shifters for some reason.We have a baby on the way and probably want used to save a bit of money.Id like leather,navagation and a automatic 4cyl.Im confused on these psev vehicles do some have it and some not?What exactly is it I am after the best fuel mileage I can get and staying with a automatic.I did see the 09s did have pzev as well?Im in washington state so emissions arent as strict as California.Thanks for any info guys.Aaron:29:

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
Hi welcome, congrats. I agree with you about the looks of the 3rd gen cars. For the newer ones, consider the point that many people feel that childrens car seats fit better and allow more driver legroom. The CVT automatic on the 2010-up will definitely give you better mileage than any '09.

PZEV is a weird qualification. The car is programmed to warm itself up faster and I think it means a longer warranty on the exhaust emissions parts. Not sure what else it does, I'll let others fill in the gaps.

·
Registered
12,304 Posts
Get a 2010 for the headgasket. If you're unaware, type in "EJ25 headgasket" into google.

Subaru started using an updated MLS style gasket on the EJ25 in 2010 much like the EJ25 TURBO engines which have ***NO*** head gasket issues. But I lean heavily towards practicality, value, and reliability so I'm odd.

You are wise to get an Outback wagon with the kid on the way, don't budge on that.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Wouldn't touch a 2010 or 2011 OB with a ten foot pole given the "shakes" debacle, amongst other things.

Wouldn't hesitate to pick up a 2012 or 2013 if I were shopping for an OB again.

·
Registered
604 Posts
2 12's I drove both shook which was why I went with a 13. Also PZEV is sold in most states likely all states. Have a friend with a PZEV living in Florida so not sure if there are differences.
I am very happy with the 13. I did a lot of reading and driving before making a decision and I am totally delighted with the choice. So much so I plan to buy a 14 this summer which means I would have a 13 and 14 OB.

·
Registered
184 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
As far as MPG - gen 4 for sure. The CVT offers much better economy. I have an 11 and have no "shaker" problems, but that's not to say they don't exist.

I'd push for a '13 too simply because it has the newer engine and tweaked CVT that is supposed to get even better mileage. Plus they are offering some great financing right now on NEW cars.

As far as PZEV goes, you can get them in all states, but some states require them. My paren'ts dealer has mostly PZEV because he is right across the border from PA (norther panhandle of WV) and my dealer even stocks a few because some people feel better buying one. It's a few hundred $$ more for another CAT and supposedly better emissions. I beleive exhaust is warrantied either way to 100k.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I owned a 2010 TSX sedan. While there are many things I enjoyed and miss the seat bottom isn't one. After 15 minutes of driving I found myself fidgeting and couldn't get comfortable. This was never an issue in the 2007 RDX which you may want to consider vs the TSX. The ride of the TSX/RDX is much firmer and sporty, maybe even jittery vs my 2012 Outback's supple cushy ride. Acura handling is better, hands down. It's all in what makes you happy.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Given you have the CRV wagon body already - do you need another wagon?
The legacy is IDENTICAL seating space and Trunk floor space to the Outback. If you consider the space under the privacy cover in the wagon to the Legacy the Legacy actually has more trunk space given the top of the trunk is slightly higher than the privacy cover in the wagon.

I highly suggest just for kicks that you have your wife drive the Legacy and the OB back to back.

The Legacy is AWD - and just as foul weather capable as the Outback except the Legacy drives a whole lot nicer regarding handling. Also our 2010 legacy seems to be far far FAR kinder to Tires than our 2010 Outback. The legacy has 39,000 miles on it the original tires are in great shape and plenty good for another winter. The 2010 OB has 40,000 miles on it and the tires were bald and were horrible at holding balance we had lots of issues with them. I switched to a different brand last month BFG touring tires.
I purchased a very early 2010 legacy with cvt for my mother and about 7 months later bought a 2010 Outback for my wife and I to replace our very used 2001 Legacy Sedan. We got the wagon due to the dog and two kids. No dog I would sell the wagon and buy another Legacy in a heart beat.

We towed our boats and various trailers all over the west coast with our old legacy and the new legacy would do just fine sans dog. ;-)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We have to have a wagon or hatchback,we have a 100lb lab tjat gors everywhere with us.With a baby on way ill need even more room.Im really wanting to keep the wife in awd vehicle.The heaf gadket issue is very concerning is 13 a completly differnt motor?I wont be towong anything with it,we have a 1ton duallu cummins for that.I called the local dealer and he said a few 09d have come in with hg failures,but said the motor is identical till 12.Im not sure what to think.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
We have to have a wagon or hatchback,we have a 100lb lab tjat gors everywhere with us.With a baby on way ill need even more room.Im really wanting to keep the wife in awd vehicle.The heaf gadket issue is very concerning is 13 a completly differnt motor?I wont be towong anything with it,we have a 1ton duallu cummins for that.I called the local dealer and he said a few 09d have come in with hg failures,but said the motor is identical till 12.Im not sure what to think.
Me after reading this post:

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I wouldn't let the headgasket issue influence your decision one bit. The '13 is a different engine than prior years, but it's still an H-4 2.5.

IMO the biggest advantage is the upgraded transmission and suspension. If I were looking now, I'd go new. Especially once you actually price a used Gen 4, for the price difference all the upgrades and the fact you'll have a new car with full warranty make it worth it. If you are financing, the rates are much better on a new car too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
11 Participants
vr4Legacy
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing