Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all.
I've got a 2011 Outback with the following issue. When I have the vent on 100% floor mode, it seems like not much air is coming out, the air is not as warm as it should be, plus there is quite a bit of air blowing out the defrost vents onto the windshield. All the other vent modes seem to be working fine and recirculation mode makes no difference. Thoughts? Thanks in advance for any help!!!
-Jeff Nelson

·
Registered
288 Posts
Sounds like the baffle is not closing to direct the flow change.
There is a cable that controls the flow in non auto climate control units.
Not positive on climate controlled units
Unfortunately you can't get to it unless the drive tunnel trim is removed.

O.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,320 Posts
There are 3 possibilities. One is the blend switch is not activating the motor. Two is a bad motor. 3 is something is binding the door from moving into position or a connection to the door is broken.

I've attached a blowup of the motor locations.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks & one more question...

Thanks for the help on this. It is a manual climate control; i.e. not auto. Would like to see if I can dig around to see if there is anything I can do before taking it to the shop - due to cost involved. I may just have to live with it, since I would imagin it will be pretty expensive to fix a bad motor, etc. Do you have any recommendations on the way forward to see if I can fix it myself? I understand the only thing I can really do is look to see if a cable is malfunctioning, etc. Where would I look (ref. diagram) and can I get to it? Thanks again for all your help!
-Jeff

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,320 Posts
No cables.

You can remove paneling that will allow better listening for he door or motor when operating the controls.

Replacement motors aren't much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Progress

No luck on determining issue. I may just have to break down and take it in, since they have to fix/look at the factory recall (wiper motor housing). I'll try closing the vents to see if that helps and will let you know.
-Jeff

·
Registered
18,176 Posts
These types of issues are often best checked by comparison with another car of the same year, model, etc.

When you take the car in, I suspect the dealer will say it's operating normally. If so, then ask to compare it to another 2010, or any 4th gen. There might be one in the shop, or on the lot. There's no need to drive the car, or even start the engine, so that shouldn't be an issue. All you need is for the dealer rep. to turn the key to ON, turn on the heater fan and adjust the vent flow control to the settings that are of concern. That way, you can determine if there's a significant difference, and if there is, demonstrate the difference. Then, at least, the dealer will have a clear understanding of the problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts