Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom has a one owner 97 Outback Legacy wagon with 87,500 old lady driven miles on it. It's always been serviced by the local Subaru dealer and has been a great car. Most recently though, she acquired a fuel leak from the tank and was told it and the lines need replaced. Seems like it is only leaking when totally full though. Either way, she is ready to move on from her Gen 1. Can anyone enlighten me as what it might be worth? Yes, I've KBB'ed it, but I wanted to see what the real Subaru family thinks?? Thanks for any help you can give.

Lived in a Illinois it's whole life, so it has a little rust on right quarter and hood. Then just normal scratches and scuffs. I would say 6 out of 10 exterior. Latch on glove box is broke but interior is at least 8 out of 10. Even rocking goofy looking white walls. Haha. Thanks again for any advice.

Attachments

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,846 Posts
$800-$1200,...

fixed and pristine, maybe $2000 at asking.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yeah...the rust and midwest are not kind to $ubaru value$.

In the Northwest where Subarus Rule, this is a $4K car w/those low miles....w/out the rust.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
Needing work that car isn't worth much. $750 give or take, there's a LOT of variables.

Fix the leak - it's the fuel filler pipe. They're only like $100 and can be replaced in an hour at a local shop, it's just behind the rear passengers side wheel, so for $250 bucks it's back to normal. Then you can probably sell it for $1,500 - $2,000 and drive it a little longer while you source another vehicle.

·
Registered
I own 4 Subarus. A 95,97,02 and a 14. The first two are 2.2 and the last two 2.5.
657 Posts
As the OP should be able to tell, the Craig List price for 20 yr old subarus here in the Chi-Milwaukee area is $1000-1500 with 200K mile and rust spots perforations over the rear wheels. This car is way above that. So I would say $2500-3000. As already mentioned, the fuel filler line is the most likely source for the fuel smell. You should fix it or disclose it in your ad.

PS If it was a 2.2 engine, I would be in a buyer at $3000, but its not. Most buyers are not aware of the 2.5 problems so it's not a factor in the price.

·
Registered
1997 Outback 2.5 AT
186 Posts
man, you guys are generous in that part of the universe.
maybe i should sell my minimal-rust southern-California Outback over there someday...

at least in the photos, OPs car looks great. but the underside is probably a wreck from the salt...

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,846 Posts
man, you guys are generous in that part of the universe.
maybe i should sell my minimal-rust southern-California Outback over there someday...

at least in the photos, OPs car looks great. but the underside is probably a wreck from the salt...
drive yours to Seattle in the late fall / early winter,

sell it for insane bucks, and fly home. (seattle / portland are the highest priced used subaru markets it seems, ...in the lower 48 anyway.)

·
Registered
2005 LL Bean 3.0
94 Posts
With that low mileage, I'd assume the timing belt, water pump and headgaskets are original. Those are major maintenance items that need addressing soon. Funny how if the car had a little more mileage and those taken care of as a result, the value would be more solidified. I don't think mileage is a real factor for these cars. The condition of the engine and chassis are.

If it was rust free and didn't leak, you could easily sell it for $4000. However, I agree with others on the $1500 range. Fix the leak and you could probably fetch $2500 if you're in no rush.

·
Registered
1997 Outback 2.5 AT
186 Posts
I don't think mileage is a real factor for these cars. The condition of the engine and chassis are.
i'd take it a step further...
if the body and interior are in good shape, that's the real determinant - mileage be damned, engines and driveline can be swapped out as needed, but you SEE and sit IN the car more than you are under the hood (hopefully :grin2: )...

in my second life i am deep into old Porsches...same rules apply, make sure the CAR is in good shape and sort mechanicals as required.

easier to swap mechanicals, than do paint and upholstery... :)

·
Registered
1996 Legacy Outback 2.2, 5sp
37 Posts
i'd take it a step further...
if the body and interior are in good shape, that's the real determinant - mileage be damned, engines and driveline can be swapped out as needed, but you SEE and sit IN the car more than you are under the hood (hopefully :grin2: )...

in my second life i am deep into old Porsches...same rules apply, make sure the CAR is in good shape and sort mechanicals as required.

easier to swap mechanicals, than do paint and upholstery... :)
Howdy fellow Pelican dude. :7:[

What you say if correct. My 1996 has 300,000 miles and the interior is perfect. The entire car is all there, nothing broken and no rust.
It runs decently, but certainly needs a refresh. But that'll be easy compared to body work and/or major interior work.

·
Premium Member
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,548 Posts
Have you decided what you want for it? At the right price, I might consider buying it, and I'm not that far from your mother. I have a '96 of the same color, but it it getting a bit long in tooth.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts