Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5i Limited
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, long-time scroller here. I'm looking for some help -- I recently had an ADF lift kit installed on my Gen 4 2014 2.5i Limited Outback. I also replaced all four struts (KYB Excel-G). The ADF kit is 1 ½" in the front and 1 ⅞" in the rear. When I brought it home and was inspecting everything, it was looking like the front was actually higher than the rear. I took some wheel arch height measurements (measuring from the center of the wheel cap to the bottom of the fender/wheel arch), and it turns out that even though the rear lift was ⅜" greater than the front, the front is actually slightly higher than the rear. I was getting just under 20" in the front and just above 19.5" in the rear (spec is 18.5" in the front and 18.7" in the rear, I believe).

Any thoughts on why this could be, or things to check? How could it be fixed? The shop didn't install the rear strut bellows properly, so it's going back to the shop in a few days and they're going to have to take everything off/apart to fix the bellows. I'm hoping they can address this issue while they're in there. Some pics below -- can take more later but in a bit of a rush at the moment. Thanks everyone, really appreciate any help!

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
11,057 Posts
I'm wondering if the shop tightened your control arms while the suspension was unloaded.

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5i Limited
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm wondering if the shop tightened your control arms while the suspension was unloaded.
Hmmm interesting. Wouldn't surprise me considering they didn't get a couple other things right. Is this something they can redo easily once they have the wheel off and strut assembly apart in a couple days? Really appreciate the help.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
11,057 Posts
It should be easy for them without needing to remove anything - but after putting in a lift you should have had a wheel alignment done, and if you did the wheel alignment with the control arms tightened with the wheels hanging, then you'll need to have it re-aligned again after it's properly torqued under load.

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,494 Posts
The spot where you pictured the car looks level-ish.

I know cameras play weird tricks, but I'm having a hard time convincing myself that the pavement is level enough to accurately detect the problem you've reported.

At the very least you should get in and out of different seats, rock the car on its springs, move it a couple of inches in each direction and repeat the measurement after each- see what the average tells you.

If you haven't got your own level poured slab, maybe try measuring at a gas station. They tend to work hard to get level filling pads because level cars can fit more fuel, so it boosts sales.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts