Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 OB 2.5. I have the standard climate control system,not the fancy auto-climate version. The (original) a/c & heater blower is slowly giving up the ghost. It does not spin very fast until it has been running for about 5 minutes. Even then, it seems to be at about 75% at the most. Everything else seems to be working normally with the climate controls.

I figure I'll be replacing the blower motor. While I'm at it, would it be prudent to replace the resistor as well? It's not very expensive.

Does anyone have a link to a tutorial for this repair?

Thanks

·
Registered
18,849 Posts
There might be a video (Youtube) or thread, but it should be relatively simple and intuitive.

The cover on the bottom of the dash below the glove compartment comes off with removal of several plastic retaining plugs. With the cover off, the two-wire connector to the fan motor is unplugged. Then, there's three or four screws holding the fan motor up to the fan housing. Remove the screws and the fan motor should come down with the squirrel-cage blower above. Might need to position it to remove completely. Installation is the reverse.

The resistor isn't a "wear" item -- it will work or fail. A new one won't necessarily decrease the possibility of a failure. Your choice.

Here's a link I just found to a video that should be applicable:

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
sounds like it's giving up the ghost. debris build up in and around the fan from rodents can also slow down a blower fan, but that doesn't sound like the issue here.

what he said. i'm not familiar with 05-09 resistors in particular but generally they don't fail often enough in new subarus to warrant replacing.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,329 Posts
have you ever changed or inspected the cabin air filter? I'd probably look in the area before ordering any parts.

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited wagon
129 Posts
Here's a link I just found to a video that should be applicable:

Thanks, definitely re-assures that it ain't that hard, and gives you an idea of the general layout. and screw locations. But videos like this drive me crazy. The guy spends time showing how to remove the clips that hold that cover in, and how to unplug an electrical connector, which anyone who's every worked on a car knows how to do. But he blows right past the screw removal, and doesn't bother mentioning that:

1. The screws are torx; slotted or phillips screwdriver will not work.
2. But they're also hex, which is the way you want to do it.
3. Because, you cannot get a screwdriver on 2 of the 3 screws; you need a 1/4" universal and a short extension.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts