Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
looks like two codes: 11 and 25

first flash is 10....then second quick flash is 1....10+1 = 11.

second set starts another code:
two flashes = 2 * 10 = 20.....5 quick flashes = 5 x 1 = 5. 25

make sense?

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
Oh - and good job figuring out the code flashing!

Did you have any trouble finding the connector, pin, and ground?
It's been awhile since I've done one and I have to read it on one of my daily drivers soon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
awesome - thanks for pictures, i was thinking a bigger connector but that one looks familiar now that you posted it. mucho thanks.

looks like a right rear wheel speed sensor for you - code 25. wheel speed sensors are fairly common. i've cleaned them off before if they have an inordinate amount of material stuck to the magnet. i've also seen them severely warn down, like the tip is just missing a ton of material.

and i've seen really bad wheel bearings cause them to come on, but you would certainly have other signs of wheel bearing issues for it to be that bad.

they're super easy to replace. held in place by one bolt and then there's usually one other bolt holding the bracket/wire in place, then disconnect the connector.

the only issue is the one bolt holding the sensor in place can be rusted in place if you live in rust prone areas. the bolt can easily snap off with little effort. if that happens i've drilled and tapped the sheared off bolt for a smaller bolt and just attached it that way. since it's not structural it doesn't matter and the rust belt guarantees the new bolt will be rusted in place in no time. LOL

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Grossgary, you pretty much summed up my experience so far with the rusted bolts. I tried to take a bolt off on the fron to see how dirty they were before getting the codes and it snapped off.

My generic screw bolt off bits did not help and using the tap set didnt do anything either since I couldnt get the clearance to turn the handle. The rears would seem like a PITA since there is no wiggle room!

How did you get a tap set in there to install a new bolt?

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
the one i did was on a front hub so maybe i had more clearance. i used a very small bolt and therefore drill bit and tap. i drilled a small hole in the bolt, tapped it, and installed a new bolt.

should be able to make a long extension for the tap to turn it, taps are small in themselves. if i think about it i'll try to take a look at a rear hub...but you don't mention which year vehicle either so it would have either the 99 and earlier style rear suspension or 2000+ legacy suspension.....?

·
Registered
2010 OBW limited 2.5 CVT
1,602 Posts
You don't even need the bolt. You can put a thin coat of RTV on the sensor body (the thick part of it) and slide it in to the hole making sure that the hole is lined up with the broken bolt. Let the RTV dry and you will be good to go. If the bolt broke in such a way to leave an alingment pin, that's even better. As long as you have the sensor aligned properly and seated, it will work without setting a code.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts