Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 Subaru Outback 'LL Bean Edition has a check engine light that I just can't nail down. I've taken it to AutoZone, Monroe Muffler and two different dealers., who have all said different things. The codes I get seem to vary from day to day, but consistently I'm getting P0026, P0028, P0011, P0016 and P0018.
A couple of these places have said its related to the timing chain, but the most recent trip to a dealer, they made no mention of that, citing dirty oil as the problem. I've changed the oil 3 times in the last 2 weeks, doing a flush each time. The codes have stayed off for a little bit after this, but always return. There is also a rattling noise, almost like shaking a can of spray paint, that's only present at idle/low rpms. Anyone have any ideas? I'm at a loss at this point, and really just want to figure this out any help is greatly appreciated.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
All those codes are related to the variable valve lift system, crankshaft, and cam shaft sensors.

Reactions: 1 Lucky Texan

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,619 Posts
miles on car? new to you?

noise 'could' be unrelated, heats shields or ???

make a new thread and ask for an independent mechanic near your city. Someone may recommend a subaru-friendly shop that could check your battery/charging system, ground connections, oil pressure and maybe use a practiced ear to help determine where the problem is.

·
Registered
18,162 Posts
The P0011, P0016 and P0018 are triggered by differences between the actual cam position (cam timing) and the ECM's target position (AVCS system).

The P0026 and P0028 are, as noted, related to the AVLS system, and are triggered by inconsistencies between the position (on/off) of the AVLS oil pressure sensor switches and the state of the ECM's control of the lift system.

It's an interesting combination, because they all could be caused by low oil pressure, as could the rattling noise at idle or low rpms.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,318 Posts
Usually when you get cam variation codes on any engine, its timing chain (or belt on belt driven engines) related, as in the cams aren't keeping up with the crank due to the chain/belt looseness. The rattling could be a tensioner.

How many miles are on the engine?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's got about 136000 miles on it. I've definitely looked at all the codes online, but the thing is that periodically they change. First it was bank 1 that was having the correlation problems, then it was bank 2. Is there a chance it could be electrical or something? My A.C. just started acting up too, but it's the clutch not engaging. Are they related in anyway?

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,619 Posts
I have experienced spurious codes set on 3 occasions across my 2 soobs, bad batteries in each case.

maybe some battery/charging issue? corroded grounds?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, sorry for the lack of response, haven't had much time to check things out. I found a breakdown of where all the grounds were. I went through, disconnected and cleaned all of them, replaced and sprayed with a corrosion preventer.

Took it for a test drive, and the codes stayed off for a while, until I got off the highway. As I came to a stop, the lights came back on. Reset the codes at home, took it for a drive again, and once again, getting off the highway, the lights cane back. Is this an indication of anything that I may have overlooked, or a completely different issue?

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,318 Posts
The AVCS on your car uses oil to operate. Is the oil full and in good condition? What weight oil are you using? Any leaks around the cam actuators?

In my experience, cam/crank differences that are enough to set codes will happen soon after the car is started if it is an actual belt/chain issue with timing. Since yours is coming on late, it may be a cam actuator sticking or not enough oil is getting to the cams when the ECM wants to change the cam phase. It could be a failure in a cam sensor. It could still be something in the harness on the engine. You checked the grounds, but what about the harness for chaffing? In order to see what the computer is seeing, a scan tool capable of seeing the cam phasing would need to catch the data at the time it happens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts