Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 OB 2.5i MT

I bought this car about a month ago, guy before me did head gaskets, timing belt, and clutch. Recently the car died on the road, pinned the temp gauge, and will not attempt to crank. Code "ER Hc" is displayed on the odometer. I understand this is a common problem and is usually caused by a rotted ground or loose connector.

While hunting for poor grounds, I discovered this:
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle

The bolt connects to the flagged wire, and is in the top rear of the passenger side cylinder head. It was found with the other 'half' of the connector plugged in with no wire coming out. Problem is, I dont see any loose wires in the area and the wire is only 6" long so theres not a ton of options. I cant seem to find any info about it online. Where does it connect to?

All other grounds look fine.

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
While hunting for poor grounds, I discovered this: . . . I dont see any loose wires in the area and the wire is only 6" long so theres not a ton of options. I cant seem to find any info about it online. Where does it connect to?
On my 07 there is a threaded hole next to the AVLS oil pressure switch, but there's never been a bolt/wire there. As the wire ends in a single wire connector, perhaps it's a ground the previous owner(s) installed for something under the hood that was removed before selling.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,253 Posts
There is supposed to be a short cable coming from the body around the strut tower with the opposing connector. It should be about 6-8" long. It's a ground feed. My H6s don't have it or I'd take a pic and show you. It's made that way for working on that side to easily disconnect it, or removing the engine. The H4 is the only one that has it and that is the only quick connect ground in the engine bay.

You can splice in a section of wire the same size to that wire in your pic and run it over to a bolt on the strut tower.

Looks can be deceiving. You should check resistance through your main ground cable from the post to the lug by the starter. Your battery needs to be supplying what's printed for CCA or bétter when checked cold.

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
There is supposed to be a short cable coming from the body around the strut tower with the opposing connector. It should be about 6-8" long. It's a ground feed.
I checked my 07 carefully around the right side strut tower, the inner fender and the chassis rail; nothing like that. (But then, mine doesn't have a wire coming from that bolt hole next to the AVLS oil pressure switch either.) The right side head is grounded to the right side chassis rail by a braided cable from underneath the head (same on the left side). Could it be a difference between market regions?

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i manual
297 Posts
I don't see that same wire on my '06 Outback. Take a look...

There's an empty threaded hole right where yours has the cable attached to a bolt.

I wonder if the previous owner had some sort of aftermarket electric connection which used that for a ground? Either way, doesn't seem like you need it. 🤷

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is supposed to be a short cable coming from the body around the strut tower with the opposing connector. It should be about 6-8" long. It's a ground feed. My H6s don't have it or I'd take a pic and show you. It's made that way for working on that side to easily disconnect it, or removing the engine. The H4 is the only one that has it and that is the only quick connect ground in the engine bay.

You can splice in a section of wire the same size to that wire in your pic and run it over to a bolt on the strut tower.

Looks can be deceiving. You should check resistance through your main ground cable from the post to the lug by the starter. Your battery needs to be supplying what's printed for CCA or bétter when checked cold.
I checked the main ground today. 0.00 ohms. I removed and cleaned it anyway but to no avail. I will try running that wire to see if it helps tomorrow, but im not too optimistic about a second ground from the head causing the problem. What else could cause this problem? I checked every easily accessible connector in the engine bay and uncovered the ECU to check for loose connections, and nothing seemed awry.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,253 Posts
ER HC is high CAN communication faults. If all the grounds check good then you need to get all the modules on the car scanned to find the culprit. It may be one of the modules in the car, usually the ABS, is not completing the circuit.

That is a factory ground wire in your picture. It's not on all the cars, so it's either a build date part or related to the emissions level of the build; FED or CARB. I've disconnected many of them when taking engines out and have to remember to connect them.when the engine goes back in. Every time I pull an engine with that ground I put yellow tape on it so it stands out and I don't miss it.

I'll add that you'd be surprised what one ground feed effects. On my VDC the keyless entry worked sporadic and over the course of a few months when I had time to check things I found that a ground by the ABS/VDCCM was tied to the keyless entry. Cleaning the ground lug and body and reconnecting it had my keyless working all the time and from further away.

Scan the car. All the systems. You have to find someone with the software to do it, indie shop or the dealer, unless you know someone that diagnosis cars for a living and has an aftermarket full diag scan tool.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts