Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 18psi supercharged U5 Outback w/207k+ miles
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing Bosal mid pipe. It broke off at one of the welds which is annoying. There is supposed to be a gasket between the mid pipe and rear cat. I Can't figure out if it has disintegrated or is still on the cat here and I just can't tell? It all seems like metal to me. There is nothing on the mid pipe side. Is the seal still on there?

Here is a pic of the part I need (first part):
More Information for BOSAL 256099

All parts:
More Information for BOSAL KIT26850022

It looks a bit like it's still on there, but I Can't figure out how to get it off.

·
Registered
2005 18psi supercharged U5 Outback w/207k+ miles
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Answering my own question, I think the seal part is on there in the pic, but I can't figure out how to get it off. I may just leave it. That one is probably only 2
years old since that is when that Y pipe went on. I bought a replacement and it's a piece of metal , not rubber like I was thinking.

·
Registered
2005 Outback H6 3.0 LL Bean
1,203 Posts
Yes, that's the donut gasket, and it appears to still be on the flange in your pic. If you want to remove it, you will have to chisel it off, which will destroy it. That gasket on my car had disintegrated, and I just recently replaced it, so I happen to know the OEM part number: 44011AE031. Subaru says this fits the 2.5L as well.

Yours looks re-usable to me. I would recommend coating the gasket in copper RTV to fill any imperfections before bolting on the midpipe flange, and letting it cure overnight before driving.

·
Registered
2005 Outback H6 3.0 LL Bean
1,203 Posts
Does that actually work?
Sure, I've had good luck with the stuff on post-cat exhaust parts on multiple cars. Both of the flanges at the donut gasket on my Outback were horribly pitted, and I copper RTV'd both of them before installing the donut and bolting the flanges together. It's sealed up well now, no more leaks. I've used it on muffler gaskets with success in the past too. I wouldn't trust the RTV alone as an exhaust gasket, but it seems to do a good job filling pits and imperfections in surfaces that are too severe for a solid gasket alone to conform to.

·
Registered
2.5 SE 3rd Gen 2007 Outback Met Green over Silver currently all original.
46 Posts
You could try a complete cut joint section and insert a stainless steel weld the result it brilliant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.