Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
09 obxt limited 5mt
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 09 outback xt. I have had the car for almost a year and am interested in doing some performance mods, I am looking to add more power to the car. I have found a lot of useful information on this website but unfortunatly only have the money to slowly do upgrades. If someone could tell me what parts would be best for me and in what order i should get them that would be great. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
For more power, start with a tune. No part changes, just reprogram the ECU. You can either pay a shop to do this for you, or you can buy a gadget that does it for you, or you can tool up & do it all yourself. That last option is not good for beginners.

For more details, check out the XT mods guide thread.

·
Registered
09 obxt limited 5mt
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks i will start with that! would you recommend a cobb accessport? or is there something a little cheaper? figured if im goin to spend the money might as well buy a gadget instead of paying a shop... am i right on this?

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
Thanks i will start with that! would you recommend a cobb accessport? or is there something a little cheaper? figured if im goin to spend the money might as well buy a gadget instead of paying a shop... am i right on this?
Lots of different opinions there. With the cobb, you can switch programs yourself whenever you like. However, those are just off-the-shelf programs. Every car is a little bit different. A good tuner can sometimes tease out a bit more power, or learn your preferences to come up with the right balance of power and driveability.

I don't know of a cheaper automatic gadget.

An ODB interface and an old laptop are all you really need for equipment, but unless you really know what you're doing, it's worth it to spend the extra money on a cobb or a pro session.

·
Registered
05 OBXT 5eat stg1.2
2,104 Posts
There's also the open source option with an etune. Buy a tactrix cable and use a laptop with romraider and ecuflash. Buy a tune from a decent tuner and flash it. I'd recommend getting an aftermarket downpipe as well if you want a bigger bump.

The tactrix cable will give you the ability to log what the car is doing as well as flash a tune. It will be an invaluable diagnostic tool that everyone should have IMO. You can buy a tactrix cable, stage 2 tune from infamous performance, and a cnt catless downpipe for about the same price as an accessport. You'll end up with a much better setup if you go that route.

·
Registered
09 obxt limited 5mt
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you both for your help. Seabass would i want the tactrix openport 2.0? and what are the differences between a catless downpipe and a catted downpipe? Only thing i could find was the impact on the enviroment and the smell.

·
Registered
05 OBXT 5eat stg1.2
2,104 Posts
Yea, you'd want the tactrix. I can't remember the versions, but some of the newer versions don't work with freessm. You might have better luck with the previous version if you can find one. But look it up because I'm not sure at the moment.

There's not really any noticeable difference in performance between the catted and catless downpipes. It's mainly price and smell/environment. If your end goal is huge numbers with a big turbo, then catless might be a better option. Otherwise, go with what your nose and budget say.

·
Registered
'05 OBXT
453 Posts
I have a free flow cat on mine and I smell nothing different

·
Registered
05 OBXT 5eat stg1.2
2,104 Posts
You don't need an up pipe since yours is already catless. Don't drive in boost with a stock map and an aftermarket downpipe. It's very unsafe for the engine. If you're planning on the downpipe, you should plan it so you can flash the tune with the downpipe already installed. Otherwise you'd have to purchase multiple tunes, which doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
you won't be able to run the tools directly, but if you set up bootcamp or one of the virtualization packages then it is possible. I had a hard time getting my odb interface to work with virtualbox and parallels. other ones may work better. in the end I wound up spending $100 on a laptop pc. bonus: never have to worry about oily fingerprints on the nice macs.

·
Registered
2001 OBW VDC, 2004 WRX, 1999 LEGACY L (in a heap)
1,301 Posts
it sounds to me like you need to 'shop for a shop,' truthfully.

run a google search and find the close tuner shops, and just goto them and tell them what you're thinking about.

if they refuse to tune open source, they'll tell you upfront and want you to buy a proprietary solution.

but getting face time is important to decide your impressions of the place.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts