Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
'08 Veracruz Limited
3,992 Posts
I can fit an infant seat, a convertible seat and a mother-in-law in the back seat of my KIA Soul. Certainly the Outback would be superior in that regard, but it would be doable in the CR-V (and basically any other compact SUV).

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I can fit an infant seat, a convertible seat and a mother-in-law in the back seat of my KIA Soul. Certainly the Outback would be superior in that regard, but it would be doable in the CR-V (and basically any other compact SUV).
Key word Mother inlaw - I would cram mine into the trunk if were legal. ;-)

·
Registered
'08 Veracruz Limited
3,992 Posts
Short of buying a minivan or other 3 row vehicle, nothing's going to be all that comfy with two car seats and an adult in the back seat. If we have to go more than a few miles, we just take separate cars. In that regard, I'm lucky that both of our families live within 10 miles of us. They aren't ever house guests that need taxiing around.

I've toyed with the idea of getting a bigger car now that we have two kids, but then I realize that there hasn't been a single time I needed anything bigger than the Soul with regards to hauling the babies and their gear.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6R
50 Posts
Three reasons why I purchased an Outback over CRV:

1. lower profile
2. greater towing capacity
3. better offroad capability
4. flat rear storage area with back seats down!!!

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Short of buying a minivan or other 3 row vehicle, nothing's going to be all that comfy with two car seats and an adult in the back seat. If we have to go more than a few miles, we just take separate cars. In that regard, I'm lucky that both of our families live within 10 miles of us. They aren't ever house guests that need taxiing around.

I've toyed with the idea of getting a bigger car now that we have two kids, but then I realize that there hasn't been a single time I needed anything bigger than the Soul with regards to hauling the babies and their gear.
LOL - Fatabbot we have the Sequoia for the local grandparents and kids hauling. Used it yesterday to run everyone to Costco. However all the grand parents are skinny fairly fit people and have found sitting in the rear seat especially with the seat back being tipped back is 100% fine as long as the center car seat and the larger kids car seat "Behind the driver" are shoved as far left as possible. Which case we have done more miles with the OB and a grand parent tagging along entertaining the kids in the back seat than we have in the Sequoia. Having said that the Sequoia has done a couple of trips with 6 passengers + a dog and enough crap to survive off the grid for a few days LOL - something the OB simply can't do.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Wonderful!

I think you might just conviced me. Space and safety are on top of my list.

I always think OB has more room in the rear, but the numbers are the same as the CR-V. Don't know why.

The CRV and the subaru Forester are in the same size and class of cars. The Outback is nearly the same size as the Acura MDX regarding length and width - and has far superior seating space and width which is key for child seats.

I have a 6 month old and a 3yr old. In the OB they sit side by side with the 6month old riding center line - and we can fit a grand parent or parent back there when needed. The CRV - and the Forester lack width and would never ever work for this. Also the spacing between the front and rear seats for taller people - the OB is light years superior most of my tall friends all have ended up with the OB simply because they can fit in the front seats with the rear facing child seat installed.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Wonderful!

I think you might just conviced me. Space and safety are on top of my list.

I always think OB has more room in the rear, but the numbers are the same as the CR-V. Don't know why.
Jor
Couple of other OB isms for you. The snap and go stroller lays flat and fits perfectly depth wise between the back of the rear seat and the hatch meaning you have lots of trunk space for other stuff. During my Wife's Maternity leave 4 months she had the Jogger stroller laying side by side with the snap and go in the trunk of the OB and pending what her need was she simply pulled the stroller she needed. Plenty of space under the privacy cover for stuff laying on top of the two strollers folded laying side by side.

Doesn't sound like a big deal till your spending your weekends visiting family and don't want your crap all exposed to prying eyes in strange places. Even just a slight change in depth between rear gate and seat back would make the fit a no go for laying the stroller flat on the floor and getting the hatch closed vs having to lay it across the width of the car resulting in wasted space and only fitting one stroller.

For major road trips and camping - we have packed our Phil and Teds with the rumble seat which the 3yr old crashes out in some times - folded and stood on its side (left side of trunk) I run a bungie cord from the rear most tie down hook on the floor to the latch hook in the roof line to keep it from falling over- then across the back of the rear seat - I can fit a standard pack in play with the phil and teds travel bed on top - with a standard old school metal sided coleman ice chest on the Right side - and we have room to put a couple of medium duffel bags between the stroller and ice chest. If the dog comes I toss his bed on top of the duffel bags between the stroller and ice chest - 75lb doberman he likes to wedge in snug and has a bad habit of snooring really loud during the road trip.

We use the 30inch wide Thule roof box when we are doing more than a night or two and want more space in the car - which case the packnplay goes in the box - along with all the soft stuff - diaper supply - jackets - pillows - kids random toys etc etc. Either way the OB has been the ideal size with the capability to easily haul a family of 4 on extended road trips with lots of CRAP!

The CRV which I have a good friend who has one - I could never see us fitting and packing it the way we pack the OB.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hi

Are you saying the Outback is too small for rear facing car seats? We haven't purchased a car seat yet. They do look hugh in the stores.

I actually loaned a friend our snap and go base and extra seat when they were shopping cars. They kept looking at the CUV's vehicles and I told them to take the seat and install it in the cars they were looking at then set up the front seats where they would need them.

They went from looking at CRV's - Foresters, Hyundia somethings - and Ford Escapes to looking at MDX - Outback and a few other larger vehicles after an hour with the car seat fitting it at a dealer. They couldn't believe how short on space those small CUV's get when the rear facing car seat comes into play. In one case three different couples who borrowed our kids seat for fitting testing etc - they were both 6ft tall and couldn't EVEN fit in one of the cars they were thinking about buying after the rear facing seat was installed. The Husband seriously could not even get into the front seats of the car once the rear facing kids seat was installed in the back.

The jumbo kids seats the kids sit in now facing forward are also crazy wide and take up lots of space I joke that our 3yr old is going to be sitting in her current seat till she turns 16yrs old the **** seat is HUGE! Borrow or steal a car seat especially a rear facing one and install them!!!!! It could save you from purchasing the WRONG car which you soon find you need to SELL because your FAMILY does not FIT.

·
Registered
'08 Veracruz Limited
3,992 Posts
Hi

Are you saying the Outback is too small for rear facing car seats? We haven't purchased a car seat yet. They do look hugh in the stores.
No, he's saying the opposite. The OB has plenty of room for rear facing seats.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I see your points here. The OB cargo area is probably wider. CR-V is taller which doesn't help with strollers.

Jor
Couple of other OB isms for you. The snap and go stroller lays flat and fits perfectly depth wise between the back of the rear seat and the hatch meaning you have lots of trunk space for other stuff. During my Wife's Maternity leave 4 months she had the Jogger stroller laying side by side with the snap and go in the trunk of the OB and pending what her need was she simply pulled the stroller she needed. Plenty of space under the privacy cover for stuff laying on top of the two strollers folded laying side by side.

Doesn't sound like a big deal till your spending your weekends visiting family and don't want your crap all exposed to prying eyes in strange places. Even just a slight change in depth between rear gate and seat back would make the fit a no go for laying the stroller flat on the floor and getting the hatch closed vs having to lay it across the width of the car resulting in wasted space and only fitting one stroller.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I should post some picts of our creative packing process for the OB one of these days. LOL

Wife and I perfected the packing plan when she was doing Triatholons and we had our Legacy. Now with kids and the Outback we actually pack the OB very similar to how we packed the Legacy before kids when we had piles and piles of gear and extra parts and bikes and all the stupid crap that a Triatholon type hauls. LOL

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I see your points here. The OB cargo area is probably wider. CR-V is taller which doesn't help with strollers.
The width and depth matters when your talking the ability to lay a stroller with handle facing out at the tailgate. Width allowed us to lay the snap and go and the jogger flat side by side with their handles at the ready by the tailgate. The depth just fits the strollers so they can lay front to back vs across the width of the car. Which is a major +

The longer when folded umbrella type stroller fits very snug across the width of the back seat and if its laying center trunk will just barely fit laying front to back ie the depth across the load floor given the rear hatch is deepest right at the center of the hatch vs the sides. So the Umbrella stroller is actually a little more of a pain to pack with other stuff in the trunk - but its also easily lashed to the cross bars on the roof if it gets booted out of the trunk ;-)
I actually think the umbrella strollers shoot for the same folded length as mens standard golf clubs given they assume all cars or most cars anyway are designed to fit clubs across the width of the trunk.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Everyone,

Thank you for your input.

It's been a tough decision for me. But I decided to get the Outback. Called the salesman and ran the finance application. Hopefully get approved for the low rate.

Wife wants a blue one. I asked my guy to reserve a Twilight Blue premium.

·
Registered
2013 outback 2.5 prem
135 Posts
I traded our 2011 crv in for the outack. We love the subaru. My wife says she feels more safe. You made a graet choice. I never had any second thought after the trade. The outback is much more comfortable.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I traded our 2011 crv in for the outack. We love the subaru. My wife says she feels more safe. You made a graet choice. I never had any second thought after the trade. The outback is much more comfortable.

thanks. you are gonna keep you id - 11crv?

I just feel the outback is bigger. might hold all the 'gears' better.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i All-Weather+Moonroof Venetian Red Pearl W/ Ivory Coth
572 Posts
Actualy the CRV's back cargo compartment with all seats in place is larger than the Outback. We went with the Outback anyways. Our Sit n' stand stoller fit much better in the CRV (2005) than in the Outback. This is still no reason to select the CRV over the Outback. The height of the cargo bay makes it much more convenient to stack it to the gills. The rack of ours will be accepting a cargo box soon though which will make up for it. If you want a good comparison engine for size and other specs check Edmunds.com Compare Vehicles

I used this all the time in researching cars and finaly deciding on the Outback

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,970 Posts
Finally saw what is going to be the 14 Forester and it looks good! Thats going to give the new CRB some serious competition

·
Registered
42 Posts
Good choice. I'm a life-long Honda fan. I've had many Hondas (88, 94, 97 Civics, Integra LS, GSR, Type R, S2000, etc). I sincerely believe that their quality has gone down substantially in the last few years. I did consider the CRV, among other Honda and non-Honda products, but the Outback stood out, both in history of reliability and utility. This is my first Subaru product, and hopefully it'll be just as reliable as my old Hondas.

·
Registered
2015 OB Limited 2.5i PZEV MR, Keyless Access & Push-Button Start, Nav, Eyesight - Tungsten Metallic
1,313 Posts

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I like the CR-V but every other car on the road is a CR-V.
I'm a bit different and Subaru helps with that attribute.

21 - 40 of 103 Posts