Subaru Outback Forums banner

61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Green Outback Limited 2.5, Past Subarus owned: 2011 Ruby Red Outback 2.5 Ltd with Moon and other goodies, 2007 Outback Premium 5sp, 2000 Outback Ltd AT, 1997 Outback Basic 5sp, 1990 Legacy LS
147 Posts
Subaru dealer sent me the same video.

I love everything about the Outback. Just have some doubts about the reliability. When I was at the Honda dealer, I saw a big gap between the front speaker and the window glass, which really threw me off, on a brand new CR-V.
I am on my 5th Subaru and have also had a couple of Hondas in the family. The Subie is every bit as reliable as my wife's (now departed) Honda Pilot. Maybe 15-20 years ago Honda had a lead in quality but Subaru has caught up and has been winning quality and customer satisfaction surveys.

Rick G

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Thanks! This is good to know.

I kind of experienced the reliability of toyota - based on a 1992 and 2003 corolla. both were problem free during my ownership.

My friends have had good luck with their hondas.

I think it's the right choice for me to get the outback. it fits our need better.

I am on my 5th Subaru and have also had a couple of Hondas in the family. The Subie is every bit as reliable as my wife's (now departed) Honda Pilot. Maybe 15-20 years ago Honda had a lead in quality but Subaru has caught up and has been winning quality and customer satisfaction surveys.

Rick G

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,972 Posts
Subaru Outback review - CarBuyer - YouTube

look at 45-50 sec of the video. do we get that here in the US? folding the back seat like that? I only saw it on the CR-V.
I've not seen one equipped like that, but perhaps if you were ambitious enough you could order the parts online and equip it yourself. You might find that to be a bit costly though. I'd bet there's a universal remote release cable kit for trunks and such that with a little effort could be rigged up to do the same thing for you. Heck, you might even find the aftermarket electric trunk releases would work for not too much more money.
Why did she put a banana in the center console? :confused:
Some things should just not be asked.
:runaway:

·
Registered
2013 premium w/AWP
39 Posts
Jor, I am both a corolla (2006) and 13 outback owner. I had traded in my belove Honda civic si with hfp package for the outback due to family needs. I had cross shop Honda crv, Mazda cx5, forestor, Tucson and outback. I picked outback. In my opinion, crv is a good car but outback is a better car. In fact, outback's steering feel and suspension feel way better than crv. Crv suspension is very soft to a point that I feel the car will take a dive at any corners despite about how fast you are going. I am not confidence about the way crv handles and disappointed. In addition, outback has the right touch with soft material and right color combination to make u feel up scale which something crv lack. More important for any owners, Subaru provides its owners an outstanding customer service at dealer as well as corporate level. SOA will be there to response to your needs or concern on timely manner. This is something u will not get with Toyota or Honda (I owned both). Subaru will ensure its owner has full confidence about their product at any given time. The choice is yours

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Thanks!

CRV's steering wheel is so light. I don't like it. It's like driving a toy. The interior... my wife said it's cheap, but I have no problem with it. after all, we are spending less than 30k for a suv.

I have made up my mind to go with the Outback.

Do you guys get the bumper guards, door guards? My corolla has quite some dings and dents from the parking lot.

Also, somebody scratched it, while trying to pull the spot next to mine. (he left without a notice, called police, but they can't do anything...) but the scratch was on my side door, not the bumper.

Jor, I am both a corolla (2006) and 13 outback owner. I had traded in my belove Honda civic si with hfp package for the outback due to family needs. I had cross shop Honda crv, Mazda cx5, forestor, Tucson and outback. I picked outback. In my opinion, crv is a good car but outback is a better car. In fact, outback's steering feel and suspension feel way better than crv. Crv suspension is very soft to a point that I feel the car will take a dive at any corners despite about how fast you are going. I am not confidence about the way crv handles and disappointed. In addition, outback has the right touch with soft material and right color combination to make u feel up scale which something crv lack. More important for any owners, Subaru provides its owners an outstanding customer service at dealer as well as corporate level. SOA will be there to response to your needs or concern on timely manner. This is something u will not get with Toyota or Honda (I owned both). Subaru will ensure its owner has full confidence about their product at any given time. The choice is yours

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,649 Posts
Indeed. I went from driving a drab appliance to something powered by hamsters. I'm now a Hamstard!
...LOL...too funny.

As for drab, it's not just my car. Apparently I fit that description perfectly...today one of my students told me I look like Bill Nye the science guy...how drab looking is that! :gasp: :29:

·
Registered
'08 Veracruz Limited
3,992 Posts
...LOL...too funny.

As for drab, it's not just my car. Apparently I fit that description perfectly...today one of my students told me I look like Bill Nye the science guy...how drab looking is that! :gasp: :29:
:D

How could a car like this be boring????:

No, that's not my actual car nor would I be caught dead in a Hamstar edition. :p

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R limited
3,289 Posts
Guys

I

I've been doing a lot of research on both Outback and CR-V. I think either will serve us, but CR-V is kind of dull.

Best offer I got: 2012 CR-V EX AWD right at invoice; 2013 Outback 2.5i Premium at invoice - 1000.

The only thing holding me back a bit on the Outback is the reliability. My Corolla is 10 years old and I didn't have to do any repair yet. Would I get the same level of reliability from the Outback? I know CR-V is quite comparable to Toyota.

We live in Utah. So, I am looking at AWD only...

Thanks!
the CRV is new model this yea and it is very nice. I Heard it is a lot better in the AWD this year than previous gen.

first of all, which car do you prefer to drive? I have not driven any new CRV, but the previous gen is kind of Numb. I like how the OB drive like a car...but keep in mind, don;t expect it to really drive like a car with that 8+ inch of ground clearance,nonetheless, it drives a lot "car like" tha the CRV and Rev4

reliability wise, OK, only time can tell. But I had 2 Honda (daily driver) for 17 years, only 1 issues(O2 sensor)..I would rate rate Honda reliability higher than OB....My 2010 OB, already have to change the battery (under warranty) and bring back todealer to fix some rattling noise. I am not counting Recalls. If you count recall. the 2 honda= 3 times (in 17 yrs) and SUbaru = 3 times in less than 3 yrs.... You can tell which Makes get my reliability votes....

As far as OB vs CRV. OB is so much more of a car/suv than the crv.plus, the OB has character, CRV is like.....Camry!

CRV new AWD is a great improvement over the previous gen but ask yourself, who is better known for AWD (subaru vs Honda)

decision ...decision....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I think you are right about reliability. I think Honda is still #1 and Toyota is right there with it, at least in my book.

Subaru is not going to beat Honda in terms of reliability. I've been reading so much about Outback. I do like the feeling inside an Outback.

Also, I don't like the local Honda dealer, too greedy. Can't really blame them though.

the CRV is new model this yea and it is very nice. I Heard it is a lot better in the AWD this year than previous gen.

first of all, which car do you prefer to drive? I have not driven any new CRV, but the previous gen is kind of Numb. I like how the OB drive like a car...but keep in mind, don;t expect it to really drive like a car with that 8+ inch of ground clearance,nonetheless, it drives a lot "car like" tha the CRV and Rev4

reliability wise, OK, only time can tell. But I had 2 Honda (daily driver) for 17 years, only 1 issues(O2 sensor)..I would rate rate Honda reliability higher than OB....My 2010 OB, already have to change the battery (under warranty) and bring back todealer to fix some rattling noise. I am not counting Recalls. If you count recall. the 2 honda= 3 times (in 17 yrs) and SUbaru = 3 times in less than 3 yrs.... You can tell which Makes get my reliability votes....

As far as OB vs CRV. OB is so much more of a car/suv than the crv.plus, the OB has character, CRV is like.....Camry!

CRV new AWD is a great improvement over the previous gen but ask yourself, who is better known for AWD (subaru vs Honda)

decision ...decision....

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
My observations after a few days of ownership and this from someone that is pretty careful about making a purchase. The Outback has exceeded my expectations. It has a lot of little touches that you don't notice when you test drive them but once you explore the vehicle and use it they begin to be noticed.
I am a BMW guy through and through and would have bought the X whatever had I thought this vehicle would be subjected to an occassional off road trip and driven mostly on the highway in town. That isn't the case for me. I need a more powerful engine as I tow things and do plan to use this out west where having more hp helps in the mountains. That and I do drive this in soft Florida sand where you get stuck in a heart beat without a real AWD system.
I have been driving 4WDs all my life before I had a license on the farm and nursery and this one is seemless. The CRV is also I believe but I am not certain how robust it is for those of us that actually use that capability.
I have a friend who is big I mean 6'4" and 280, he fits in the CRV but not the Outback. He can operate the brake and gas pedals on the CRV but can't without contorting himself on the Outback.
So there are certainly many people that can use the CRV and it does have more cargo capacity than the Outback but for me I made the right choice and it is getting better each day.
I don't praise things often but this has been one of the most pleasant surprises I have had regarding vehicles. This is a vehicle that I can actually enjoy driving vs many that were something I had to endure until it wore out.
If enjoyment in driving is important to you that is another mark for the Outback.
Both are certainly excellent vehicles...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
what was the deal with shaking wheel ?

was there something ssimilar in the history of honda ?

a lot in that thread said ththey are done wwith subaru .

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
my outback is here. going to pick it up tomorrow. twililght blue, premium, with awp and pp #1b.

do you guy purchase extended warranty for your outbacks?

I am debating between the 7yr/100k and 7yr/70k plans. difference in cost is 450 dollars.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,322 Posts
I go by time, since I’ve never had a car that went past 96K. But I have 3/36K to decide on it, of which I probably won’t purchase.<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i All-Weather+Moonroof Venetian Red Pearl W/ Ivory Coth
572 Posts
Congrats on your Outback!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
What made you pick the Outback over CRV? You know my reasons. Just curious what yours were.
there are couple

1. interior space. we are expecting. on paper, it's the same as CRV, maybe even smaller. but when you sit in one, it just feels bigger. I still need to figure out why. maybe i can compare with friend's CRV.

2. awd. i live in utah. want the awd for safety. heard subaru is the better one here. but i never had problem with fwd.

3. safety. subaru feels closer to the ground.

4. value. i got a good deal on the outback. honda dealers won't go below invoice here.

5. looks. outback looks better than the new crv.

6. feelings. the two subaru dealers here give me better feelings. salesmen seem to be more genuine, maybe just better actors.

7. this forum is awesome. much better than crvowner club.

it wasn't easy for me.

61 - 80 of 103 Posts