Subaru Outback Forums banner

81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
I go by time, since I’ve never had a car that went past 96K. But I have 3/36K to decide on it, of which I probably won’t purchase.<O:p</O:p

my friends never buy extended warranty. but i think i prefer peace of mind.

prices increase every year on these warranties.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium CVT, AWP, Steel Silver
826 Posts
I don't know what to think about reliability anymore.
Our first accord, a '92, was flawless. The '01 was much the same till 100k miles and the transmission went out. That left a real bad taste in my mouth and the more I read about Honda the more I found out they have had issues with transmissions from time to time.
Needless to say, the wife didn't buy another Honda.

·
Registered
2012 Impreza Sport Ltd 2013 Outback Limited SAP
1,495 Posts
my friends never buy extended warranty. but i think i prefer peace of mind.

prices increase every year on these warranties.

Haven't seen any significant price changes since I bought the original plan for my 2008 OBS in early 2008. The price for the 2010 OB was the same. The price for the 2012 Impreza Sport was a bit higher; however, I went with the 7/100k/$0 -vs- the 7/70k/$0 that I had for the previous cars. My expectations are that the price will be the same for the 2013 OB (with SAP) that I ordered on Sept 1st.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Got my Outback today.

The buying experience was really good. My salesman was very nice. He walked me through everything after we are done with paperwork, even paired and tested my phone. The finance manager didn't push too hard on the extra coverage and service. I think I am going to buy the extended warranty from Joe or Don.

Car is beautiful. Love it. Has 15 miles on it, since they had to get it from another dealer.

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Ltd, Graphite Gray
69 Posts
I used to be in SLC area and bought my OB from Mark Miller as well. They were pretty good to me. Were you at the downtown location or South Towne?

Actually, that looks like the same U of U parking lot I used to park in sometimes -- small world!

·
Registered
2013 OB Limited, 2.5 w/Moonroof
163 Posts
2012/13 CRV vs. 2013 OB Latest

Just shopped both CRV and OB heavily including dealing on both...

CRV Con's:
CRV interior dash layout isn't as "premium" looking/feeling as OB

All that black dash and instrument area is a dust magnet especially on higher EX-L trim levels! OB, Ford Escape and even Hyunda Santa Fe seem easier to live.

For a tan interior car, the CRV seems "disjointed" somehow... Lots of dark brown bits in the dash and console that don't go with the rest of the tan bits... Interesting the gray interior on CRV is much more coordinated. I find the Japanese built cars for both Subaru and Honda tend to favor gray bits over tan FWIW (e.g., Forester, CRV).

Extreme handling... CRV ride quality is much better than 2011 but has also sacrificed some handling in 2012 to make it a softer ride compared to OB... taking a corner at 25MPH in CRV left me disappointed.

CRV exterior plastics feel cheap compared to OB, especiallyt he lower cladding.

Salesmen and service folks work in Subie dealers for years vs. Honda dealers where they tend to churn staff.

Outback Con's:
Price can seem high for the OB if you are shopping a 2WD CRV. Especially all the a la carte pricing Subaru gives for basic things like body side moldings or dimming rear view mirrors which seems petty on a $30K car. Simple packaging is beautiful Subaru.

CRV mileage for 2WD is a tad better than OB by a bit from Fuelly website observations.

Honda dealer network is bigger and often superior. On the other hand, I have been more pleased with the quality of Subie dealers over the quantity of Honda dealers.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
I used to be in SLC area and bought my OB from Mark Miller as well. They were pretty good to me. Were you at the downtown location or South Towne?

Actually, that looks like the same U of U parking lot I used to park in sometimes -- small world!

:D small world indeed.

bought from midtown, but i think they are the same company.

·
Registered
2013 OB
106 Posts
Ha, I'm picking mine up from Mark Miller (on 35th and State) tomorrow. It's my first foray into Subaru (from Honda and Toyota). Hope this will be a good experience.

·
Registered
2013 OB
106 Posts
Picking it up later today. Probably won't post pictures, as it is a stock green Outback. Pretty excited though. Considered the CRV, but Outback won out. I like this shiftless CVT transmission. Civics had some issues back in the late 90's with CVT, so hopefully that won't be the case here.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Picking it up later today. Probably won't post pictures, as it is a stock green Outback. Pretty excited though. Considered the CRV, but Outback won out. I like this shiftless CVT transmission. Civics had some issues back in the late 90's with CVT, so hopefully that won't be the case here.
good luck.

it's hard choice for me between crv and outback. but so far, i like the outback.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Limited with Moonroof and Navigation
9 Posts
In July I replaced my 2007 CR-V AWD, which had 127,000 trouble free miles with a 2013 2.5i Outback Limited with sunroof and navigation. I considered the new CR-V but wanted to try something different. I am happy with the Outback, but there are a few things I miss about the CR-V. I found the CR-V seats more comfortable, as the Outback seats seem to have less padding, but they do provide good support. I wish that the Outback had doors that automatically locked when placed in drive and automatically unlocked when placed in park - similar to the CR-V. I have mixed feelings about the Outback's CVT transmission. I hate the delay when going from reverse to drive, but I do like how it performs otherwise, especially when going up mountain grades. The Outback handles and drives better then the CR-V. It has a much better center of gravity and hugs the curvy mountain roads better than the CR-V did. My only real concern with the Outback is with the CVT transmission. At this point it is hard to say if I would still make the same decision. I guess only time will tell.

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,970 Posts
In July I replaced my 2007 CR-V AWD, which had 127,000 trouble free miles with a 2013 Outback Limited with sunroof and navigation. I considered the new CR-V but wanted to try something different. I am happy with the outback but there are a few things I miss about the CR-V. I found the CR-V seats more comfortable, as the outback seats seem to have less padding but do provide good support. I wish that the outback had doors that automatically locked when placed in drive and automatically unlocked when placed in park - similar to the CR-V. I have mixed feelings about the outbacks CVT transmission. I hate the delay when going from reverse to drive, but I do like how it performs otherwise, especially when going up mountain grades. The outback handles and drives better then the CR-V. It has a much better center of gravity and hugs the curvy mountain roads better than the CR-V did. My only real concern with the Outback is with the CVT transmission.
Get use to the CVT'S, it looks Honda will use them in there 4 bangers. The new CRV is a quality car it just feels like a glorified Civic to me where the OB has a more premium feel and I like the look better. The CRV screams soccer mom IMO.

·
Registered
2012 Outback Premium Ruby Red Pearl 2.5 CVT AWP
402 Posts
In July I replaced my 2007 CR-V AWD, which had 127,000 trouble free miles with a 2013 2.5i Outback Limited with sunroof and navigation. I considered the new CR-V but wanted to try something different. I am happy with the Outback, but there are a few things I miss about the CR-V. I found the CR-V seats more comfortable, as the Outback seats seem to have less padding, but they do provide good support. I wish that the Outback had doors that automatically locked when placed in drive and automatically unlocked when placed in park - similar to the CR-V. I have mixed feelings about the Outback's CVT transmission. I hate the delay when going from reverse to drive, but I do like how it performs otherwise, especially when going up mountain grades. The Outback handles and drives better then the CR-V. It has a much better center of gravity and hugs the curvy mountain roads better than the CR-V did. My only real concern with the Outback is with the CVT transmission. At this point it is hard to say if I would still make the same decision. I guess only time will tell.
It's funny. I looked at the CRV before I decided on my 2012 OB Premium CVT. I thought the CRV seats were simply horrible. I couldn't sit in them for 10 minutes let alone every day for the next 5 or so years. I also have 3 friends that had CRV's. Every one of them sold their CRV's after owning them only a short time because they said the seats were so uncomfotable. BTW I am loving my OB. Very comfortable and MPGS have now increase to 30-31 on my 60 mile daily commute

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.
982 Posts
I don't like Honda seats at all and I believe the CR-V has the same seats as the Accord and those felt like a slab of granite to me.

Once you have your first nasty snow day and really get to see what Subaru AWD is all about you'll be able to answer your own question about whether you would do it again or not! :29:

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Limited with Moonroof and Navigation
9 Posts
It's funny. I looked at the CRV before I decided on my 2012 OB Premium CVT. I thought the CRV seats were simply horrible. I couldn't sit in them for 10 minutes let alone every day for the next 5 or so years. I also have 3 friends that had CRV's. Every one of them sold their CRV's after owning them only a short time because they said the seats were so uncomfotable. BTW I am loving my OB. Very comfortable and MPGS have now increase to 30-31 on my 60 mile daily commute
I am getting used to the Outback seats. At first I couldn't drive a short distance without my thigh's aching, but after several seat adjustments I am fine with them and may actually grow to like them.

81 - 100 of 103 Posts