Subaru Outback Forums banner

Help with purchase of Outback, against CR-V

18K views 102 replies 31 participants last post by  blSwagger 
#1 ·
Guys

I registered here right when I started car-shopping..

I really love the Outback. It has everything that we need from a new car.

We are expecting and I need a car bigger than our Corolla.

Almost bought the Outback on Saturday, if the dealer gave a fair price on the Corolla - The most they could offer was 5150 for a 2003 Corolla LE with 81k. It's not unreasonable, but I think I can get a lot more from a private sale.

I've been doing a lot of research on both Outback and CR-V. I think either will serve us, but CR-V is kind of dull.

Best offer I got: 2012 CR-V EX AWD right at invoice; 2013 Outback 2.5i Premium at invoice - 1000.

I am happy with the offer on the Outback. Honda dealers are very tough to negotiate. I can't blame them. Why would one lower price, if the car sells well?

The only thing holding me back a bit on the Outback is the reliability. My Corolla is 10 years old and I didn't have to do any repair yet. Would I get the same level of reliability from the Outback? I know CR-V is quite comparable to Toyota.

Can you guys help me/convince me one way or the other? I hate spending money fixing cars... they should just work, shouldn't they?

We live in Utah. So, I am looking at AWD only...

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Every brand has its shortcomings, and detractors (just wait). The main reason I still have my 06 Accord is its reliability, why fix it if it ain’t broke.
You’ll need more comparison points/features/tech, as Subaru/Honda reliability is pretty much the same (as with Toyota)<O:p.

#3 ·
I dont bother negotiating really, I prefer to get a prenegotiated price from services like truecar. I have been looking at a lot of cars from new Outbacks all the way to the new BMW X1. I considered the CRV, but I didn't like the styling. No matter what cars I look at though, I cannot find another car with comparable features than my Outback.

#12 ·
I dont bother negotiating really, I prefer to get a prenegotiated price from services like truecar. I have been looking at a lot of cars from new Outbacks all the way to the new BMW X1. I considered the CRV, but I didn't like the styling. No matter what cars I look at though, I cannot find another car with comparable features than my Outback.
The new CRVs are not that appealing.

the price I got from truecar is much higher. I am cheap and it bothers me if I spend more than needed.

#4 ·
Honda reliability as well as a lot of Asian cars has dropped as of late. Once they have a model and it sells then they look for cost cutting measures. I am not a fan of Consumer Reports but I agree with them on that point. They seldom bash Asian cars but they have been doing so recently. I think the Asian manufacturers got the message and have been correcting that.
Our Toyota by the way was no more reliable than the Taurus that it replaced. The best Asian vehicle I owned was a Toyota Landcruiser 93 model which never broke.

Regarding the CRV it is a good vehicle but if you do really use it in off road conditions it will not be as capable as the Outback or for that matter the Forester is. The CRV has more cubic space seats up and actually is one of the very few vehicles my friend can fit in since he is 6'4" and 280. The Outback seat all the way back didn't let him operate the gas and brake pedals without some contorting of his body. The CRV was much better in that regard.

Honestly I went through this recently myself with RAV-CRV-Forester-Outback-etc and the Outback was my main choice for two reasons, the 3.6L engine which fits our requirements and the Eye Sight system which to me is a got to have if offered. That forced us to the 3.6L with Nav and Moonroof neither of which we wanted but will make good use of those options.

If you primarily drive on road and seldom off road but some rutted roads in Utah the CRV fits the bill too. To me is is just boring as ****...

#13 ·
My heart tells me to get an Outback, but my brain tells the other way.

We don't plan on doing off-road stuff. Just need a bigger, safe car for the newborn.

CRV is boring. Three of my good friends have one and the one has a RAV4.

I just don't want to visit the dealer that often for repairs, or the free soda.

#5 ·
We recently traded out 2005 Honda CRV EX in on a 2013 OB 2.5i. We considered the 2012-2013 Honda CRV before we purchased, but decided on the 2013 Outback 2.5i for the following reasons. I will say that the CRV still made our top three list before we decided though.
Reasons for Outback Purchase
-2700 lb towing capactity (OB) rather than 1500 lb (CRV)-may tow a pop up camper
-Real AWD (OB) rather than Front biased friction type AWD (CRV)
-More sound proofed cabin (OB). In the CRV you can hear a lot of road noise
-Past experience with AWD Honda CRV (2005): New tranny @ 38K (dealer paid for), vibrations while at stop light, sputtering at 100K miles. Service shop said it was due to low oil level. had it tested with dye, but they could not figure it out-blamed it on burning oil!

These are just some of the reasons. The CRV is more affordable. Basically an EXL can be had with leather anhd everything for under $30K while the OB Limited with similar equipment is $32-33K. Cargo cap. with alll seats in place the CRV has more in the back by a could SQFT.

I would not hesitate buying a FWD honda, but after our experience I will hesitate buying an AWD Honda

There is a video describing the AWD system of the OB. Its a British video. Very informative video!!!!! If you deal with snow and ice for a long season like you will I would go with the OB

The other vehicles we considered were the following: 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, Kia Sorrento and Ford Escape (2013). There was no comparision to the OB

#14 ·
Subaru dealer sent me the same video.

I love everything about the Outback. Just have some doubts about the reliability. When I was at the Honda dealer, I saw a big gap between the front speaker and the window glass, which really threw me off, on a brand new CR-V.

My friends love their CR-Vs. I know it's good. I still feel Outback gives me more room on the rear seat. It should be big enough for a carseat and two grand parents...

My wife is a small person. She probably would prefer the Outback, since it's easy to get in and out. She thinks the interior of the CRV is too cheap.

We recently traded out 2005 Honda CRV EX in on a 2013 OB 2.5i. We considered the 2012-2013 Honda CRV before we purchased, but decided on the 2013 Outback 2.5i for the following reasons. I will say that the CRV still made our top three list before we decided though.
Reasons for Outback Purchase
-2700 lb towing capactity (OB) rather than 1500 lb (CRV)-may tow a pop up camper
-Real AWD (OB) rather than Front biased friction type AWD (CRV)
-More sound proofed cabin (OB). In the CRV you can hear a lot of road noise
-Past experience with AWD Honda CRV (2005): New tranny @ 38K (dealer paid for), vibrations while at stop light, sputtering at 100K miles. Service shop said it was due to low oil level. had it tested with dye, but they could not figure it out-blamed it on burning oil!

These are just some of the reasons. The CRV is more affordable. Basically an EXL can be had with leather anhd everything for under $30K while the OB Limited with similar equipment is $32-33K. Cargo cap. with alll seats in place the CRV has more in the back by a could SQFT.

I would not hesitate buying a FWD honda, but after our experience I will hesitate buying an AWD Honda

There is a video describing the AWD system of the OB. Its a British video. Very informative video!!!!! If you deal with snow and ice for a long season like you will I would go with the OB
Live demonstration of Subaru Forester and Outback's 4x4 symmetrical all wheel drive system - YouTube

The other vehicles we considered were the following: 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, Kia Sorrento and Ford Escape (2013). There was no comparision to the OB

#6 ·
IMO, both cars are very boring, but they're both reliable, safe and practical for a young family.

I haven't driven the new CR-V, but I'm always hesitant to consider Hondas given their noisy ride. If the new CR-V still carries that trait, I'd definitely recommend the quiet ride and refinement of the OB. Don't buy one or the other based on reliability as I bet they'd both be very dependable.

Having said all that, if you still like your Corolla, it will be plenty big enough for a family of 3 or 4. If you're like me, though, any excuse to get a new car is a good excuse :)

#16 ·
I don't mind keeping the Corolla. Wife thinks it's not safe.

The grandparents will probably stay with us for a while, to help out with the kid. And my father-in-law is too big to fit in the trunk.

IMO, both cars are very boring, but they're both reliable, safe and practical for a young family.

I haven't driven the new CR-V, but I'm always hesitant to consider Hondas given their noisy ride. If the new CR-V still carries that trait, I'd definitely recommend the quiet ride and refinement of the OB. Don't buy one or the other based on reliability as I bet they'd both be very dependable.

Having said all that, if you still like your Corolla, it will be plenty big enough for a family of 3 or 4. If you're like me, though, any excuse to get a new car is a good excuse :)

#7 ·
We were thinking of replacing our crv with another one but the OB was better.

1. crv only comes with a 4cyl. Just not enough get up and go and was scary to my wife entering the fwy. OB with the 3.6 is a very nice cruiser.
2. crv as way too noisy. Road noise was deafening.
3. AWD system in the OB is better.

#10 ·
CRV's are nice I have had three. My best was the 2002 EX. Reminded me of the Forster in ways. Great build quality but on the noisy side. The 12 model is nice and for what I understand is quieter with 185 hp and a better AWD system than in previous years. I think the 13 Acura RDX and the CRV share the same 4wd system. Personally I do not like the way it looks, to much of a hump back Volvo copycat look. Overall. I think the OB is a better value and a more versatile vechile with a better AWD system

#19 ·
The CRV and the subaru Forester are in the same size and class of cars. The Outback is nearly the same size as the Acura MDX regarding length and width - and has far superior seating space and width which is key for child seats.

I have a 6 month old and a 3yr old. In the OB they sit side by side with the 6month old riding center line - and we can fit a grand parent or parent back there when needed. The CRV - and the Forester lack width and would never ever work for this. Also the spacing between the front and rear seats for taller people - the OB is light years superior most of my tall friends all have ended up with the OB simply because they can fit in the front seats with the rear facing child seat installed.

#26 ·
Wonderful!

I think you might just conviced me. Space and safety are on top of my list.

I always think OB has more room in the rear, but the numbers are the same as the CR-V. Don't know why.

The CRV and the subaru Forester are in the same size and class of cars. The Outback is nearly the same size as the Acura MDX regarding length and width - and has far superior seating space and width which is key for child seats.

I have a 6 month old and a 3yr old. In the OB they sit side by side with the 6month old riding center line - and we can fit a grand parent or parent back there when needed. The CRV - and the Forester lack width and would never ever work for this. Also the spacing between the front and rear seats for taller people - the OB is light years superior most of my tall friends all have ended up with the OB simply because they can fit in the front seats with the rear facing child seat installed.

#20 ·
I actually loaned a friend our snap and go base and extra seat when they were shopping cars. They kept looking at the CUV's vehicles and I told them to take the seat and install it in the cars they were looking at then set up the front seats where they would need them.

They went from looking at CRV's - Foresters, Hyundia somethings - and Ford Escapes to looking at MDX - Outback and a few other larger vehicles after an hour with the car seat fitting it at a dealer. They couldn't believe how short on space those small CUV's get when the rear facing car seat comes into play. In one case three different couples who borrowed our kids seat for fitting testing etc - they were both 6ft tall and couldn't EVEN fit in one of the cars they were thinking about buying after the rear facing seat was installed. The Husband seriously could not even get into the front seats of the car once the rear facing kids seat was installed in the back.

The jumbo kids seats the kids sit in now facing forward are also crazy wide and take up lots of space I joke that our 3yr old is going to be sitting in her current seat till she turns 16yrs old the **** seat is HUGE! Borrow or steal a car seat especially a rear facing one and install them!!!!! It could save you from purchasing the WRONG car which you soon find you need to SELL because your FAMILY does not FIT.

#28 ·
Hi

Are you saying the Outback is too small for rear facing car seats? We haven't purchased a car seat yet. They do look hugh in the stores.

I actually loaned a friend our snap and go base and extra seat when they were shopping cars. They kept looking at the CUV's vehicles and I told them to take the seat and install it in the cars they were looking at then set up the front seats where they would need them.

They went from looking at CRV's - Foresters, Hyundia somethings - and Ford Escapes to looking at MDX - Outback and a few other larger vehicles after an hour with the car seat fitting it at a dealer. They couldn't believe how short on space those small CUV's get when the rear facing car seat comes into play. In one case three different couples who borrowed our kids seat for fitting testing etc - they were both 6ft tall and couldn't EVEN fit in one of the cars they were thinking about buying after the rear facing seat was installed. The Husband seriously could not even get into the front seats of the car once the rear facing kids seat was installed in the back.

The jumbo kids seats the kids sit in now facing forward are also crazy wide and take up lots of space I joke that our 3yr old is going to be sitting in her current seat till she turns 16yrs old the **** seat is HUGE! Borrow or steal a car seat especially a rear facing one and install them!!!!! It could save you from purchasing the WRONG car which you soon find you need to SELL because your FAMILY does not FIT.

#23 ·
Short of buying a minivan or other 3 row vehicle, nothing's going to be all that comfy with two car seats and an adult in the back seat. If we have to go more than a few miles, we just take separate cars. In that regard, I'm lucky that both of our families live within 10 miles of us. They aren't ever house guests that need taxiing around.

I've toyed with the idea of getting a bigger car now that we have two kids, but then I realize that there hasn't been a single time I needed anything bigger than the Soul with regards to hauling the babies and their gear.

#25 ·
LOL - Fatabbot we have the Sequoia for the local grandparents and kids hauling. Used it yesterday to run everyone to Costco. However all the grand parents are skinny fairly fit people and have found sitting in the rear seat especially with the seat back being tipped back is 100% fine as long as the center car seat and the larger kids car seat "Behind the driver" are shoved as far left as possible. Which case we have done more miles with the OB and a grand parent tagging along entertaining the kids in the back seat than we have in the Sequoia. Having said that the Sequoia has done a couple of trips with 6 passengers + a dog and enough crap to survive off the grid for a few days LOL - something the OB simply can't do.

#31 ·
I should post some picts of our creative packing process for the OB one of these days. LOL

Wife and I perfected the packing plan when she was doing Triatholons and we had our Legacy. Now with kids and the Outback we actually pack the OB very similar to how we packed the Legacy before kids when we had piles and piles of gear and extra parts and bikes and all the stupid crap that a Triatholon type hauls. LOL

#33 ·
Everyone,

Thank you for your input.

It's been a tough decision for me. But I decided to get the Outback. Called the salesman and ran the finance application. Hopefully get approved for the low rate.

Wife wants a blue one. I asked my guy to reserve a Twilight Blue premium.

#36 ·
Actualy the CRV's back cargo compartment with all seats in place is larger than the Outback. We went with the Outback anyways. Our Sit n' stand stoller fit much better in the CRV (2005) than in the Outback. This is still no reason to select the CRV over the Outback. The height of the cargo bay makes it much more convenient to stack it to the gills. The rack of ours will be accepting a cargo box soon though which will make up for it. If you want a good comparison engine for size and other specs check Edmunds.com Compare Vehicles

I used this all the time in researching cars and finaly deciding on the Outback

#38 ·
Good choice. I'm a life-long Honda fan. I've had many Hondas (88, 94, 97 Civics, Integra LS, GSR, Type R, S2000, etc). I sincerely believe that their quality has gone down substantially in the last few years. I did consider the CRV, among other Honda and non-Honda products, but the Outback stood out, both in history of reliability and utility. This is my first Subaru product, and hopefully it'll be just as reliable as my old Hondas.

#42 ·
what made you think the Honda reliability has gone downhill?

the CRVs are still the most reliable compact SUVs, right?

I like the Outback a lot, but my mind is telling me not to expect it to be as reliable as Honda or Toyota.

Good choice. I'm a life-long Honda fan. I've had many Hondas (88, 94, 97 Civics, Integra LS, GSR, Type R, S2000, etc). I sincerely believe that their quality has gone down substantially in the last few years. I did consider the CRV, among other Honda and non-Honda products, but the Outback stood out, both in history of reliability and utility. This is my first Subaru product, and hopefully it'll be just as reliable as my old Hondas.

#40 ·
I like the CR-V but every other car on the road is a CR-V.
I'm a bit different and Subaru helps with that attribute.

#44 ·
The fact is, most cars now are reliable as your maintenance and care makes them. In the case of safety, its also largely true - your behaviors matter at least as much as what the car does when slammed into something else.

Instead of looking at this from all these relatively modest statistical differences in reliability and safety ratings, try looking at the difference in the way I have been of late. I've been noticing at stoplights and in traffic and in parking lots that many SUVs and trucks of all classes have maybe an inch or two more real clearance at most (if even that), and yet the driver is sitting so high that their butt is about like sitting on my roof. Many of the vehicles I'm comparing to don't have 4WD or AWD even. They sit so high they don't handle well. They have more primitive suspensions and often have poor turning circles as a result. So, in an Outback you get a vehicle that can handle as much or more than many of these SUVs and trucks, but still handles on the road, you can park it, and it doesn't take a ladder to get in and out of.

#46 ·
i saw this in the parking lot the other day. can't find the ladder though.

The fact is, most cars now are reliable as your maintenance and care makes them. In the case of safety, its also largely true - your behaviors matter at least as much as what the car does when slammed into something else.

Instead of looking at this from all these relatively modest statistical differences in reliability and safety ratings, try looking at the difference in the way I have been of late. I've been noticing at stoplights and in traffic and in parking lots that many SUVs and trucks of all classes have maybe an inch or two more real clearance at most (if even that), and yet the driver is sitting so high that their butt is about like sitting on my roof. Many of the vehicles I'm comparing to don't have 4WD or AWD even. They sit so high they don't handle well. They have more primitive suspensions and often have poor turning circles as a result. So, in an Outback you get a vehicle that can handle as much or more than many of these SUVs and trucks, but still handles on the road, you can park it, and it doesn't take a ladder to get in and out of.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.