Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey team, hoping someone may be able to help me with something that has me stumped! Have had a quick scan through the forum and haven't been able to find any answers...

I've been reading a bit about upgrading the high beams on my 2007 OBW, and bought some RangePower 50+ bulbs to do the job. When I went to change them over today, I found that the bulbs I pulled out are a bit different to the replacements, and the replacement bulbs aren't going to fit correctly.

Essentially, the existing bulbs have metal lugs that secure them to the reflector housing as part of the mount. The replacement bulbs have plastic lugs that sit much further back on the mount and are much wider, so do not fit into the housing. Also it looks like the pins in the connector are further apart in the replacement, so they do not seem to plug in.

Here are a couple of pics of the originals:

And the replacements:

Has anyone else come across this, or can anyone shed any light on what the original bulb might be? Hoping I haven't done something stupid like stuff the order up!

Also I should add that I'm in Australia, so not sure if different bulbs are used in the models over here...

Thanks in advance!
Pete

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Some "cheaper" bulbs or upgrades have "cheaper" plugs.. it depends on where they are from. Japanese (PIAA), German, Hungarian (Osram and Hellas) or Korean (Nokya)bulbs have precise fitting plugs. Chinese made bulbs are of inferior quality. I would not worry about the surface or slight imperfections - as long as you have a strong and water sealed contacts with the headlight cluster body.

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
1,922 Posts
No, there is definitely a problem here with bulb specifications. The replacement bulb you purchased looks like what I would expect a standard 9005 high beam bulb to look like. It's good that you showed the connector side as well, as the 9005 should have wide set electrical blades, plus the two plastic blocking tabs on the top. The base seal of the bulb you took out looks more like a 9006, but the tabs are in the wrong place along with the electric blades set too close. Off the top of my head, I don't know what it is.

So, time to read your owners manual, and check the markings on the bulbs themselves and see what's up. No, that is not going to fit - either in the lamp housing or the electrical connector.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts