Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester Premium, Crystal Black Silica, Pkg 15
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted over on the Honda Pilot forums but it's been a week and they don't seem as active as ours. So, thinking if someone can point me in the right direction, it's a start.

I noticed that when we use the remote start on our 2016 Pilot EX-L, the driver's side LED (DRL) illuminates after engine start (along with the double flash of the turn signals). The passenger side one does not. However, when you put the vehicle into drive or reverse, it does illuminate. Are the DRL's supposed to come on at all during remote start?

Is there some type of weird functionality that happened like a software glitch, or a cable that might have been inadvertently disconnected? I have no problems poking around there myself, but wanted to fact-find before I go digging.

The car had some damage on the front driver's side LED when it was parked and hit by a car turning into a parking lot, but it was replaced with genuine Honda parts by a body shop. I think when they reconnected everything maybe something was out of place? What's the best way to access this, remove the bumper trim from the bottom and go in through a wheel well or something, or is the LED housing/wiring harness accessible through the hood?

What should I look for?

Thanks.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,197 Posts
might be a bulb / a bulb socket/ or a wire / wire ground going a little wonky. (such could even be on the back ).

on a damp day maybe look for condensation in the housings and lenses.
@plain OM @brucep may have more basic suggestions. a couple threads here already exist on similar condions in subarus.

sucks that this is a newish 2016,.. I think you should trade it right away for a trouble free 2006 subaru tribeca.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Touring Pearl White
37 Posts
I have a 2018 Ridgleine. I haven't had it long and haven't used remote start much because it lives in the garage. I'll try to remember to check it out tonight. On the Outback, the DRLs turn on with remote start. So, I suspect the Honda does, also. The Driver side only part is a bit of a mystery, but a lot of cars, including the Outback, turn off one DRL when the turn signal is on. They have some fancy circuitry these days. So, it certainly would be possible for them to do that on purpose. I'm just not sure why they would.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I've found that the issue only happens at remote start, both DRL's work when the car is in drive, and neither of the DRL's come on if the lights aren't in AUTO mode.

So, I'm curious to see what happens.

I'll check the turn signals when I get there later.

From what I've heard on the Honda forums, they are NOT coming on by default - one or both - so it seems like this was related to the body shop repairs. However, the body shop I used I had a hard time communicating with them (language barrier - long story, not relevant) but the rest of the repair was perfect.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Touring Pearl White
37 Posts
Both lights turned on for me, but we always keep the lights on "Auto". I didn't even think about that being a factor.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Both lights turned on for me, but we always keep the lights on "Auto". I didn't even think about that being a factor.
OK, so what you are saying is that when you do remote start, both of the daytime running lamps come on on your Honda?

That’s interesting, because the side that is not turning on is the side that was not damaged. I suppose the wiring could be a little screwy? I was hesitant to mention that the last time I had it in service, because I don’t want the service department to tell me that this was caused by the body shop. And then charge me for it.

So, it is useful for me to know the default behavior

1 - 6 of 6 Posts