Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Wrangler YJ, Grand Cherokee WK2, RAM 1500, FJ80...
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys- new here. Stumbled across this forum looking at a few things on a 1999 Outback I'm considering purchasing.

The price is right for needing some work done, in my opinion... I've been working on cars since I was five (a FWD 1987 Justy hatch back then) and grew up on Subaru, so I'm not completely unfamiliar with the platform.

This car I'm considering has roughly 160k on it. They're saying the speedo went out a few months ago and estimated 3k on the clock since then.

I've researched and found the speedo fix to solder in a wire to correct that. Worst case, I don't mind the $150 or so I've seen for a new speedometer if everything else checks out.

Here are the issues with which I'm not familiar on these:

1.) The A/C is only blowing through the defrost vents. Is that common on these? Are they electronically controlled, cable, or vacuum?

2.) It has a pretty rough idle when in gear. While accelerating lightly, it stumbles pretty hard, but once it starts revving it seems to run pretty smoothly. I was initially thinking motor mounts until it started stumbling. It feels like a mass air sensor, but it could also be worn out timing belt. I just don't know whether these belts stretch to the point of timing problems or if they just snap when they get old.

3.) The CEL was flashing when I first cranked it. I ran a quick search here and found that people have a tendency to plug the green plugs together when working under the dash (I won't lie- it makes sense...) so I checked and sure enough, they were connected. I disconnected them and the CEL went off. However, after driving less than a mile, it started flashing again then stayed on.
I did not have my code reader with me, but will be going back this afternoon to check for codes and any other quick tinkering I can do to confirm what it needs.

4.) It's leaking (squirting) coolant from a hard line below the EGR valve. It's just a pinhole leak, but it's a metal line, so I don't know if it'll be available to replace or if I'll need to find a way to repair it. I have a pic and I zoomed in a bit to better show the pinhole location. Anyone know where I can find a diagram to hopefully locate the part number to see if it's still available through Subaru?

Thanks for all the help, folks!

Attachments

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,308 Posts
how much $,

and is it actually RUST FREE?

the EJ25D it the worst engine the company ever made. hence we have this thread here as a sticky about putting a great EJ22 in a car that came to you with a dead EJ25D in it. (and sourcing the "right" kind of EJ22)

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...248329-ej22-swap-into-ej25d-dohc-vehicle.html

______

what do you get with these pre-2000 typical EJ22 and EJ25D subarus? ...= pokey AWD local transport for 2 lanes.
(I would consider none of them a highway car, all feel slow behind the wheel by modern standards)

Reactions: bheinen74

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,308 Posts
on these leave the green connectors disconnected. they do something when hooked to a subaru dealers hand held. and puts it into a test mode, but in this case not useful.

______
with them unconnected:

flashing check engine light = misfire.

______

A/C through defrost vents. (maybe something in the plastic switch gear maybe off).

_______

coolant lines, steel ones do corrode and leak, or they get caught on something like a rock.

subaru sells new ones. (ATF, Cooolant, Oil,...bad is when any mix together,...still fixable but better make it right away).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how much $,

the EJ25D it the worst engine the company ever made. hence we have this thread here as a sticky about putting a great EJ22 in a car that came to you with a dead EJ25D in it. (and sourcing the "right" kind of EJ22)

______

what do you get with these pre-2000 typical EJ22 and EJ25D subarus? ...= pokey AWD local transport for 2 lanes.
(I would consider none of them a highway car, all feel slow behind the wheel by modern standards)
I'm looking at $500 for the car. I could not find any actual rust. Down here we never salt our roads, so that's normally a non-issue unless it's a northern car that's been moved south. This one looks fantastic. Body is straight other than a roll in the driver front fender.

I'm looking for something to do some daily duties and have my son start driving when he gets his license in a couple of years. I'm not doing a motor swap, so if this motor really sucks that badly, I'll go back to the drawing board. Just hate to walk away from a Subaru for $500 if it wouldn't take much expense to fix it up.

I could not care less about going fast if that's the complaint with the motor. If that's it, I don't mind it being slow. If there are actual mechanical concerns, I'd like to learn about them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how much $,

______

My reply didn't post for some reason.

If the concern is mechanical, I'll pass and wait for a newer model to pop up, but if it's only about the speed, I'm not worried about that. I'm an off-roader. Low and slow is my theme.

I'm looking at the car for $500. The body is VERY straight other than a wrinkle in the front driver fender. No rust other than extremely light surface rust that is to be expected. In Louisiana we never salt the roads, even in the once every ten years that we get snow. The A/C was blowing ice cold. If another $500 or so would get it reliable, I'd consider it a win.

It also has practically brand new tires, date codes coming up as mid-2017.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,308 Posts
I had to hand approve that 2nd post. (getting stuck in the automatic antispam software, such stops trying after 10 posts).

those old ones are missing a multi-link rear suspension, so they kind of ride like a old long bed pickup that leans too much. (although people in modern times I suppose put stronger rear stuff on them then the factory did).

nicer stuff came in 2000 also, at least in legacy outbacks. foresters and impreza kind of got stuck with crap for a few more years.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had to hand approve that 2nd post. (getting stuck in the automatic antispam software, such stops trying after 10 posts).

those old ones are missing a multi-link rear suspension, so they kind of ride like a old long bed pickup that leans too much. (although people in modern times I suppose put stronger rear stuff on them then the factory did).

nicer stuff came in 2000 also, at least in legacy outbacks. foresters and impreza kind of got stuck with crap for a few more years.
Ahh... I get it. I'm not looking for anything fancy here. I just need a stable day to day beater that's going to ride better than a one ton truck for daily duties.

We keep my wife in a nice vehicle for getting the family around and we're waiting to get pricing on the new Ascent when it releases.

I'm going to pull the CEL codes when I get off work just to see what's going on there and will consider any further input.

As far as the motor... is it that there's a common mechanical failure or is it just because it's a dog? I've always considered Subaru to be slow as f***, but the last one we had was a 1997, so if they got more peppy in 2000, that would make sense. Haha

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
The DOHC 2.5 in the 1st gens is prone to internal HG failure, which is either a Fix it NOW or bork the engine sorta deal with the oil and coolant mixing all over the place, exhaust gasses in the radiator and a general hatred of life and bank accounts.

The later SOHC 2.5 engine fail externally 95% of the time, so you just have to keep respective fluid levels ok while it's leaking if you don't want to fix it and it'll run happily along for another 100K miles leaving oil and/or coolant puddles everywhere.

These aren't bad engines per say, they just have a really terrible common failure point. Usually a better move if the HG blows to replace with a 2.2 than repair it. Gives up a little in HP but the engine itself is very solid.

And like any modern Subaru engine, a failed timing belt will turn it into a boat anchor as valves and pistons kamikaze each other. Interference engines and all that.

Reactions: bheinen74

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,308 Posts
how far are you willing to drive / fly, and what are you looking at for budget?

to me the right thing is a six cylinder one. (maybe get one listed as needing head gaskets and dropping in a nice cheap JDM used engine,).

six cylinders give you muscle off road with in the 2001-2004 212hp / 210 torque and even on the flat that is nice for little grades with mud. (2005-2009 H6 cars have more hp, but not much more torque,...still nice but not that much more muscle).

or maybe getting a 2000-2009 H4 one listed as leaking oil and doing a quality head gasket job on that.

____

and if you want a Ascent, the people on here are saying they are starting to order now and might have it in the end of June. (vs. trying to wait for when the regular stock gets in around August, and be fighting over them anyway).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The DOHC 2.5 in the 1st gens is prone to internal HG failure, which is either a Fix it NOW or bork the engine sorta deal with the oil and coolant mixing all over the place, exhaust gasses in the radiator and a general hatred of life and bank accounts.

The later SOHC 2.5 engine fail externally 95% of the time, so you just have to keep respective fluid levels ok while it's leaking if you don't want to fix it and it'll run happily along for another 100K miles leaving oil and/or coolant puddles everywhere.

These aren't bad engines per say, they just have a really terrible common failure point. Usually a better move if the HG blows to replace with a 2.2 than repair it. Gives up a little in HP but the engine itself is very solid.

And like any modern Subaru engine, a failed timing belt will turn it into a boat anchor as valves and pistons kamikaze each other. Interference engines and all that.
The guy kept saying this was the later motor that's not prone to HG failures. Is it possible for a late '99 to have the SOHC instead of the DOHC? How can I check to be sure? If it's the DOHC with the HG failures, I'm walking away. We did head gaskets on our 97 back in the day and I will happily walk away from that nightmare any day of the week.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,308 Posts
The guy kept saying this was the later motor that's not prone to HG failures. Is it possible for a late '99 to have the SOHC instead of the DOHC? How can I check to be sure? If it's the DOHC with the HG failures, I'm walking away. We did head gaskets on our 97 back in the day and I will happily walk away from that nightmare any day of the week.
no. if you are over there take a pic of the engine.

and the timing belt cover on the front. the only way this has a SOHC 2.2 or 2.5 is if it were swapped in there. (by the current owner or someone else.

the Ej25D are all turds 96 = worst, 97 -99 almost as bad....the reason why people want to dump the cars for next to nothing, on unspecting buyers that will not have money to fix them.

(many a sad thread from people like that with no money to fix the car they just bought,...vs. buying a 91 tercel or something that at least starts up and goes).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no. if you are over there take a pic of the engine.

and the timing belt cover on the front. the only way this has a SOHC 2.2 or 2.5 is if it were swapped in there. (by the current owner or someone else.

the Ej25D are all turds 96 = worst, 97 -99 almost as bad....the reason why people want to dump the cars for next to nothing, on unspecting buyers that will not have money to fix them.

(many a sad thread from people like that with no money to fix the car they just bought,...vs. buying a 91 tercel or something that at least starts up and goes).
:grin2:

I'll snap a pic tonight. He was adamant that this was the later motor. I really think that was a misunderstanding, if anything, but this car is BONE STOCK other than the radio unit. I really doubt anyone did a motor swap in it, so if it's really a '99 with the DOHC 2.5, I'm out.

·
Registered
I own 4 Subarus. A 95,97,02 and a 14. The first two are 2.2 and the last two 2.5.
657 Posts
Well $500 is the right price, but only if you were going to drive it without fixing it until it completely fails. And even so, I would not want my son to be driving it. Too dangerous. It could have a leaking HG already and the bearing may be ready to fail, among other problems.

I would love to have this car up here in Wisconsin. I'd park it until I found a 2.2 motor to put into it. Then i would pay probably $2000 to get the motor and swap it in. But I would get 100K miles afterwards with no worries and especially none about my son driving it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well $500 is the right price, but only if you were going to drive it without fixing it until it completely fails. And even so, I would not want my son to be driving it. Too dangerous. It could have a leaking HG already and the bearing may be ready to fail, among other problems.

I would love to have this car up here in Wisconsin. I'd park it until I found a 2.2 motor to put into it. Then i would pay probably $2000 to get the motor and swap it in. But I would get 100K miles afterwards with no worries and especially none about my son driving it.
I went to college four hours away in a 1989 Crown Victoria station wagon... half of my "education" of road-side fixes was on the side of the Interstate somewhere with a broken down car, minimal tools, and no cell phone because they were only for rich people back then. At least my son will have a cell phone so he can call me to help if something goes wrong. >:)

I'll keep looking for the SOHC motor and go from there.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,308 Posts
:grin2:

I'll snap a pic tonight. He was adamant that this was the later motor. I really think that was a misunderstanding, if anything, but this car is BONE STOCK other than the radio unit. I really doubt anyone did a motor swap in it, so if it's really a '99 with the DOHC 2.5, I'm out.
I think he is trying to sell the car, with the last of the dogshit engines in it, but the last of them = still bad.

________

some people did head gasket jobs in them right away on the first jump of the water temp gauge. (probably take a pro shop 12 hours, or a DIY 2x that,....machining heads, and a couple hundred in parts). and they had to get after them right away. or they melt into a boat anchor.

(I would think if I were to go around to every EJ25D on craigslist, I would find more then half need a new engine now, like they have miracle blue devil stop leak in them as a means to sell the car,...and will die in 2 weeks...and a present owner saying how "great" they are)..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I definitely appreciate all the advice here, guys. I'm stubborn, but I'm not stupid. I'll go take a quick look at the car, but if it's the DOHC I'll trust you all and walk away from it.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,308 Posts
I definitely appreciate all the advice here, guys. I'm stubborn, but I'm not stupid. I'll go take a quick look at the car, but if it's the DOHC I'll trust you all and walk away from it.
I'll move this to another section, and give it a new title, maybe you post up some new finds.

and I had a bone stock 88 Justy front drive with a 5speed manual put a lot of miles on it in the 90s as a college car.
top speed I had was about 95mph
(got mountains here on 4 lanes in upstate NY). helpful to be doing it at 4am with a radar detector, ...when all the overnight cops are taking a nap.

I think I could have cranked it over a 100, if I had more practice in that section of road at such times,

no mods like the salt flats justy
https://jalopnik.com/252682/super-salty-123-mph-subaru-justy

edit: moved from gen1 to general discussion

1 - 17 of 17 Posts