Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an outback boxer diesel 2012 and have been told that I can not use it in the floods we are having as the water may go through the bonnet vent anf flood the engine and also if/when it snows(which it will as I am in wales!!) the same will happen with the snow!. Does this mean I own a summer use only car?:confused:

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,036 Posts
Who told you that? Car is no more likely to pick up snow or water than any other car with an intake under the bumper/behind the grill. Basically if the water is deep enough that it might suffocate the engine, you have bigger problems because if it is that deep the car will be floating down the river and you better know how to swim.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
You shouldn't be driving any car through flood water regardless of the engine.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Hood intake set up is designed to take into account heavy rain and snow etc. As long as you haven't modified the intake or run some sort of aftermarket air cleaner box etc the car should be perfectly fine. WRX has been running hood scoops for years and years and this is a non issue.

However if your speaking of driving through exceptionally deep water that is hood height or more NO car will survive that without extensive modifications to the intake system with a Snorkel. Which by the way 99% of the time snorkels are used to get the intake up out of the dust - however they do enable a car to cross deeper water before sucking water into the intake.

As pointed out above NEVER drive your car through a flooded street. People who know how to do this type of thing always get out and walk the flooded section and mark off hazards or where the road has fallen away and to check depth before they drive through. Every day auto drivers rarely ever think about doing that and most end up stranded in the middle of the puddle when it gets too deep. Or worse they end up trapped in a sinking car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts