Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2001 LL Bean, 1997 2.5L 5spd
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a '98 Outback with 175k to part out. The owner had replaced the radiator six months ago and claimed that everything had been fine since then, but I didn't verify anything beyond the compression since I was going to overhaul the engine anyway. Found some rusty sludge in the radiator, but chalked that up to the coolant pipes, which were badly corroded and leaking slightly. I pulled off the water pump and was dumbfounded when I saw this:

The vanes on the old pump were paper thin and folded in on themselves. Two were broken off completely, and perhaps I'll find their remnants lodged somewhere in the block or heads. Clearly the water pump wasn't doing much cooling in its current condition. I've removed several water pumps, but I've never seen anything like this. Anyone else?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I purchased a '98 Outback with 175k to part out. The owner had replaced the radiator six months ago and claimed that everything had been fine since then, but I didn't verify anything beyond the compression since I was going to overhaul the engine anyway. Found some rusty sludge in the radiator, but chalked that up to the coolant pipes, which were badly corroded and leaking slightly. I pulled off the water pump and was dumbfounded when I saw this:

The vanes on the old pump were paper thin and folded in on themselves. Two were broken off completely, and perhaps I'll find their remnants lodged somewhere in the block or heads. Clearly the water pump wasn't doing much cooling in its current condition. I've removed several water pumps, but I've never seen anything like this. Anyone else?
Wow that is crazy. Only thing I can possibly think of is that water pumps don't like pumping ICE.

·
Registered
17,709 Posts
Wow.

I seem to recall there was a different pump with a cast impeller. Was that aftermarket, or is this one aftermarket?

Shouldn't proper/routine cooling system maintenance prevent, or at least, reduce the tendency for the impeller to deteriorate like that? In any event, given this is at 170k miles, it sure supports the argument to change the WP with the timing belt at the 105k intervals.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts