Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. First I'd like to say hi, now the problem. I've been troubleshooting this for awhile. It first started out as slight hestitation on a regular acceleration like it was missing,the check engine light was on had it checked. It showed the EGR and #3 cyl. missed. Replaced EGR and checked the plugs found #3 cracked. Replaced all four plugs gapped to .042 and from the baterry being out the light went out and it seemed the problem was fixed. Nope in about 10 or so miles the car now starts to buck between what seems to 4th and 3rd with the slight push of the accelerator, but when I floor it, it gets over it and goes, and the check eng. light is back on. I get to my final destination and due to no AutoZone to check it for free i continue to try the trouble shooting futher. I check my ignitor resistance, my injectors, my PCV valve, the transaxle fluid which was serviced and had good color, and change the fuel filter. Due to the fuel filter change the batt. was once again disconnected so the check engine light went out and the car seemed normal again. So yeppie I'm victorious right? Wrong, on my way back home after putting about 10 to 12 miles on th ecar problem comes back and better than ever. Now stutters real bad on take of through all gear worst than before and once again between 3rd and 4th. It didn't do it when I would manually shift through the gears. I've run out of options and am about to take it into a service center. The only other thing is the ECM or the transaxle has gone for the worst but like I said everytime I disconnect the battery it goes fine for a little bit then rears its ugly head again.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Hi Hickey_Coastie,

I think you need to specify the model, year and transmission type in order to help clarify the problem. Have you tried using a different brand of fuel, maybe higher octane?

Cheers,

Karl

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
funny enough I talked to some local sooby guys and he suggested the one thing I hadn't done and that was to change the spark plug wires. The ones that were on there had good appearance but I never got around to megging them. And oddly enough they ended up being the original wires that had about 125000 miles on them. So with a quick changaroo the car is running good right now. We'll have to see what the rest of the week brings. Oh yeah I own a 96 legacy outback w/ 2.5 liter auto.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
2 Participants
Jondalar
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing