Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 00 Subaru outback 2.5 base model. I have an issue with this car having low power going up hills. With this, I found that the ignition coil had a crack in it. Replaced it and it seems like the problem goes better. Yet, a trip on the way to Maine to Vermont about 2 hours in the car started having manger hesitation issues and rocking of the entire car. Still no codes on the car nor history codes either. We stop for a few minutes and start out again and the issue seam like it cleared up. On the way home the car drove pretty well till and hour to a half-hour before we got home the car had an issue again. To add the bucket of issues when your going up a hill and putting the gas pedal to the floor the car most of the time just slowly accelerates and if you shift it done gears it some times shifts but other times does not. And one last issue is we have

What I have replaced on the car below:
Exhaust system with cats.
Ignition Coil and plugs
Valve Cover gasket
Fuel filter
Fuel pump gasket
air filter
cleaned the throttle body
cleaned the EGR sensor
O2 sensors

Again no codes at this time. I just need to figure out why this car does not have the power it should.

Thanks

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited 2.5i
43 Posts
Any time I replace the ignition coil, I would also replace the spark plug wires. IIRC, something about the arcing from the coil can damage the wires. I would change the spark plug wires next. If you have a fuel pressure gauge, mount it to the windshield so you can monitor fuel pressure, perhaps the fuel pump is failing. I would suggest a plugged catalytic converter but you replaced that. Not much else to change until it throws a code.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any time I replace the ignition coil, I would also replace the spark plug wires. IIRC, something about the arcing from the coil can damage the wires. I would change the spark plug wires next. If you have a fuel pressure gauge, mount it to the windshield so you can monitor fuel pressure, perhaps the fuel pump is failing. I would suggest a plugged catalytic converter but you replaced that. Not much else to change until it throws a code.
Sorry I missed to say... when I did the plugs and coil pack I did the wires as well. Man, it would suck if it is a fuel pump.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited 2.5i
43 Posts
I think the fuel pump is accessible through a hatch inside the rear of the Outback. So, you don't have to drop the fuel tank. I think (and hope for your sake).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not ready to deam the fuel pump bad yet. I going to get a fuel pressure gauge and test it out. Because when I at idle it runs rough like it is starving for something. Almost to the point, it wants to stall. Then when I have driven the car it does not want to shift and then it will shift other times just fine.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,130 Posts
2010-14 legacy/outback the fuel pump is accessed by removing the rear seat and then the cover to access the fuel sending unit as seen here

2000-04 models here

2005-09 models here

1 - 7 of 7 Posts