·
Premium Member
2014 Outback 2.5i 6MT1997 Legacy Brighton 2.2L 5MT
33 Posts
Subaru Model: Legacy Brighton
Year: 1997
Engine Size: 2.2L
Miles: 195,000 and again 210,000

External leaks. Note this is an EJ22 engine -- head gasket problems are apparently rare but can occur.

First time 2016: symptom was major smell of burning oil and oil all over the engine. Dealer replaced the head gasket "and other gaskets encountered" but did not machine the heads. No other parts replaced. From what I read in this forum, that's a typical dealer approach and I didn't know any better. Thanks to those here for educating me. To be fair, I think the dealer charged me appropriately for what they did.

Second time 2018, just 15K miles later: Started consuming oil, at first 1 qt/4K miles but accelerating recently. Now smell burning oil. Head gaskets diagnosed by a local independent shop that specializes in subarus. They will machine the heads this time, check the valve guides, and replace other parts proactively.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I want everyone to please fill out a quick log for all to glance through for HG failures.

Subaru Model: Outback
Year: 2012
Engine Size: 2.5L
Miles: 250,000 km (156,000 miles)

Thanks.

Brian
On the highway, most of annunciators on instrument panel started blinking: Cruise, brake, engine, temperature etc.

Figured it was either a computer glitch, or perhaps gas cap not put on securely. Went on driving, looking for the next exit.

Engine started pinging with less and less throttle. Pulled over and once stopped, had large coolant steam/leak. Steamed for 15 minutes from under the hood.

Towed to local mechanic: Blown head gasket and melted radiator. Proposed $5000 engine change, since internal engine damage suspected, in addition to head gasket and radiator, like water pump would have been damaged.

Did not notice high temperature warning on instrument panel, since it was blinking like the other indications.

Can't believe they haven't solved this design problem after so many years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Disappointed

Year: 2012
Engine Size: 3.6L
Miles: 106,000 miles

Like previous post, was highway driving when all instrument lights began flashing.

No previous indication that engine was running hot.

Dealer diagnosed damaged HG secondary to overheating and blaming a faulty radiator cap.

Don't know whether this is true or if a faulty HG is to blame.

The same dealer replaced the short block (new head gasket as well) less than 10k ago.

Seems fishy to me considering I've had the same radiator cap with normal function up to this point.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,834 Posts
Year: 2003
Engine Size: 2.5
Miles: 97,000

Just in time for it's first timing belt.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,834 Posts
Year: 2008
Engine Size: 2.5
Miles 85,521

Note: This happened last year, I forgot to document it.

521 - 540 of 573 Posts