Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago my Uncle called me about a 1998 legacy outback that had come into his shop. It had 197,XXX miles and had overheated when the guy was driving it back from the beach. Long story short, I ended up buying it for $1400 and have been driving it since Monday.

Occasionally while driving, or when just idling in the driveway the temperature guage quickly rises all the way to HOT. Today my uncle discovered that indeed the head gasket is the problem because there were bubbles in the coolant resivoir. :28:. He put Bar's Head Gasket Fix in to try to get a temporary fix. My dad and I were driving later on today when the temperature guage went all the way to HOT again. After returning and sitting, idling in the driveway it rose again. I got the tachometer to 2 and the temperature instantaneusly fell to the Middle.

We're hoping that the Bar's solution maybe works within the next couple days. I'm 17 and this is my first car. I'd just like to get some thoughts and opinions. thanks!

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,669 Posts
make certain the car has a thermostat from the dealer, a good radiator cap, and the fans both work, but, it quite likely has bad HGs and it is close to impossible for the bars leak or any other similar product to work. Chamber pressures are much higher than cooling system pressures and just won't allow any magic goop to get where it needs to go.

plenty of good info here and at ultimatesubaru.org on rebuilding the engine in your car. Even if you get a similar engine from the junkyard, it will need its HGs replaced before you install it. Quite common to that particular year range of engines.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.