Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Outback Limited w/ moonroof
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What year is the 2.5 HG issue most common? I just bought a 2013 and I know it's too soon to tell but I'm wondering if this will haunt me later on? Perhaps I should have sprung for the 6cyl...

Has Subaru addressed it in the newer models?

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
oh my goodness, please lock this thread now! this could be a book - and second you'll hear a ton of different answers/opinions.

simply put, just drive your car and don't worry or think about it, take things as they come.

Fact: 1st and most important - you have the new 2.5 liter - with timing chain and all. completely redesigned motor so i don't think you really need to think about any particular failure mode at all - new motors sort of assume a little risk in any area, it's all unknown at this point.

Fact: Subaru started installing updated EJ25-Turbo-like headgaskets around 2010 or something like that, in EJ25's...hopefully they learned their lesson and the 2013 has robust gaskets like the EJ25 Turbos (which never had headgasket issues)

1996-1998 (and some 99's) EJ25D is the the most common headgasket failure prone engine...but they're also the oldest, most prone to poor maintenance, and has more catastrophic issues when they do fail if a poor owner isn't quick to react, etc, so is it "really" more prone to failure..probably but it's still arguable. due to it's failure mode of pushing exhaust gases into the coolant you get instant and random overheats - so immediate massive engine failure or engine failure later on are regular occurrences with that motor.

2000-2004 (and some 99's) EJ25 gets a little better. Different failure mode, but no random overheats, only have issues if you run low on coolant. Keep it full and it's fine, no overheating. Usually leaks coolant and it slowly gets worse over a very long period of time.

2004-2010 (and some 2011's I believe): Can leak coolant or oil...but oil seems more common and it gets worse much quicker than 2000-2004 era.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Outback Limited w/ moonroof
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for taking the time to explain all of that - great summary!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts